Please apply online through the link above. Job ID: 8284
EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
The mission of the Taxonomy Manager is to connect customers with content by engaging with the processes, systems, and team members responsible for maintaining and enhancing taxonomies (controlled vocabularies) that are used for indexing and other product search solutions. In addition to leading the Taxonomy team, the Taxonomy Manager will collaborate with other Content Management, Product Management, and Technology teams to expand initiatives that leverage taxonomy and other structured data to streamline internal processes and/or deliver valued product features for our customers.
- Lead team of 15 Taxonomists who update global and subject-specific thesauri, entity terms, and other controlled data by assisting with prioritization, removing blockers as needed, and ensuring the mission of the team is being carried out effectively.
- Cultivates and implements innovative means of processing subject headings, headings rules and search data more efficiently and with greater accuracy.
- Oversees projects/initiatives by establishing goals, deadlines, staff requirements and effective communication with staff and project sponsors.
- Advances and socializes the team's mission within and outside of Content Management; Assists with calls/visits with content providers as needed to support taxonomy-related search initiatives.
30 Day Objectives:
- Learn key taxonomy practices in context of EIS, and the value stream, products, and customers the team supports
- Meet with each member of the Taxonomy team
90 Day Objectives:
- Become familiar with Content Management teams and processes, building relationships with managers and other contributors
- Begin driving 3+ improvement initiatives and/or content projects; communicate goals, identify and overcoming challenges, and provide status updates to applicable stakeholders; This includes guiding Natural Language Processing initiatives (search term mining, indexing automation, semantic analysis)
180 Day Objectives:
- Utilize search log data, indexing reports, industry knowledge and other resources to shape internal taxonomy practices and fuel existing and new ideas
- Collaborate with Product Management, Technology and other stakeholders to build relationships and generate ideas and support for product or process improvements
- Subject Knowledge: Familiarity with best practices in taxonomy development and management and/or Natural Language Processing
- Strategic Thinking/Vision: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way; Determines opportunity and risks through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
- Moves others to Action—Translates the vision into day-to-day activities and behaviors; guides and motivates others to take actions that support the vision
- Technical prowess: Able to quickly get to know our products, processes and business needs to a sufficient level to drive projects, improvements and product enhancements
- Delegation: Delegates assignments to the appropriate teams members based on their skills, roles and interest; Allocates decision-making authority and/or task responsibility to the appropriate teams and/or individuals
- Communication & Presentation: Communicates and presents ideas clearly and with confidence; Delivers presentations and status updates suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience
- Team Player: Fosters a team based culture within the Taxonomy team and across departments; Develops a supportive and helpful culture for assistance in projects and daily support interactions
- Continuous Improvement: Continually focused on improving the responsiveness and quality of the solutions delivered
- Enthusiasm: Exhibits high energy, passion and intensity in completing work objectives
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
- 3+ years experience working with taxonomy/ontology or other controlled indexing data, including development/management of the data and delivering its value to internal and/or external end users
- 3+ years of leadership experience
- 3+ years of knowledge/experience with one or more Natural Language Processing tasks (semantic indexing, entity extraction, summarization, etc.) from either a technical or leadership perspective
- Graduate degree in Library Science, Applied Linguistics or other relevant field
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ***, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.