4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 1:47 AM by Jan Paulsen

dynamic column titles

Jan Paulsen

Dear board members,

I have two parameters that enable me to choose between 4 dimensions in a list. The problem: instead of the variable names (variable 1, variable 2, variable 3, variable 4, see green highlighting) the name of the calculated fields (1 or 2, 3 or 4) is displayed.

I need to Picture1.png

Is there any way to show the name of the variables? I know this has been asked before, but I could not find a solution that works for me. I have two parameter, which  complicates matters. Also, I need to be able to download the list as a CSV. Thus any solution with floating objects won't work either.

Do you have any idea?

Cheers

Jan

• 1. Re: dynamic column titles
          Carl Slifer

Howdy Jan,

I am entirely unsure why the need to download the list as a CSV makes using a floating object solution impossible.  You could have another calculated field that returned 'Parameter 1' or 'Parameter 2' which are actually strings or just have your parameter you are using create these. You could then pass this information into the worksheet title dynamically. When using this on a dashboard you can make the worksheet title off centre so that it appears to be aligned above the correct fields.

I've created a sample workbook.

Cheers!

Carl Slifer

InterWorks

• 2. Re: dynamic column titles
            Jan Paulsen

Howdy Carl,

Thank you so much for having a look at this. Floating objects: Please follow this link: | Tableau Public When you try to download the file as a CSV you will see that the header is "1 or 2" instead of the variable name.

Unfortunately, the same will happen with your solution. I have uploaded it to Tableau Public. When I click on generate CSV I get this:

So you can see that the column headers are misalligned.

Sorry for not being clearer about my requirements.

Cheers

Jan

• 3. Re: dynamic column titles
              Carl Slifer

For what you are asking there is not a way to do this that I am aware of.

As the methods we've shown are intended to work on dashboards as visual

aids and not via crosstabs.

You could possibly use this blog:

http://vizwiz.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-greatest-tableau-tip-ever-exporting.html

and you could have multiple excel sheets that could be exported in the

background. The end user would not need to know how this is occuring and

only you would.

Cheers

• 4. Re: dynamic column titles
                Jan Paulsen

Dear Carl,

I was afraid that this would be the answer. Thanks anyways. And thanks by the way to the Interworks team, you guys post a lot of really useful stuff on Tableau.

Cheers

Jan