1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 12:30 PM by Simon Runc

Converting Degrees and Decimal Minutes to Decimal Degrees for Mapping

Michael Moore

I have run into a roadblock with mapping since tableau need to map points to Decimal Degrees. 

Currently I have Degrees/Decimal Minute formats being reported from a device. 

I was looking at the conversion from Degrees, Minutes, Seconds format listed in the knowledge base but am having trouble accurately converting Degrees, Decimal Minutes to the correct Decimal Degree format.

This is what I was referencing before: Converting Latitude/Longitude from Degrees/Minutes/Seconds to Decimal Degrees | Tableau Software

• 1. Re: Converting Degrees and Decimal Minutes to Decimal Degrees for Mapping
          Simon Runc

hi Michael,

Can you let me know where you are getting stuck?...and if possible post a couple of the entries you currently have in your Degrees/Minutes column(s), if they are in a single field [eg. 1° 43' 33.4776'' S] or separately, and I'll take a look.

stab in the dark! - You only mention degrees/minutes...is the trouble that you are having that the link also adds the 'seconds' element? If so just ignore that part, as that is just an extra level of accuracy (like the number of decimal places on Long/Lat)...and if this isn't in your data you can't increase the accuracy!