9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 8:21 AM by vinutha vasanthu

How to filter on the pie chart

vinutha vasanthu

I have a pie chart with slices and each slice has information and user on clicking the chart the information of that should be shown

in the tabular format below.

Please find my twbx attached.I am not able to make out the mistake i am doing.

Data is not show on clicking the slice.

Also i tried the solution in the below mentioned thread ..but am not able to add multiple sheets in dashboard with hide option.

How to filter on the pie chart

How to Put Pie chart Filter in Dashboard

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to filter on the pie chart
          Joe Oppelt

Rebuild that TWBX.  Extract your data source first.  Then save packaged workbook. 

Right now it's trying to connect to your data source when I open it.

• 2. Re: How to filter on the pie chart
            vinutha vasanthu

Hi joe,

I rebuild the twbx.

Thanks,

Vinutha

• 3. Re: How to filter on the pie chart
              Joe Oppelt

(Note to self:  This is a 9.1 workbook.))

Still trying to connect to a data source...

Eventually I get this:

Not sure what you have going on in that workbook, but I can't get into it.  And the reason I want to get in there is to understand the problem better.

• 4. Re: How to filter on the pie chart
                vinutha vasanthu

Hi Joe,

Sorry for the trouble.I recreated the twbx. Please find the twbx attached

• 5. Re: How to filter on the pie chart
                  vinutha vasanthu

Hi Joe,

The latest file twbx is working and sorry for the back and forth emails.

Thanks

• 6. Re: How to filter on the pie chart
                    Joe Oppelt

See attached.  I made a second dashboard to do what you want to do.  If this is what you need, we can discuss what I did in there.

• 7. Re: How to filter on the pie chart
                      vinutha vasanthu

Hi Joe,

Thank you so much.Yes this is what i am looking for.Can you please let me know how you add multiple sheets in the DASHBOARD.

Thanks,

• 8. Re: How to filter on the pie chart
                        Joe Oppelt

On Dashboard1 you have everything tiled.  On Dashboard 2 I floated all the objects in the same position that they were when you had them tiled.

The sheet named "Dashboard" on Dashboard2 is simply floating where it is.  But the sheets named 5-10 Days and 10-30 Days are in a floating container, side-by-side.  This is where we do the sheet swapping.  You can see a brief demo of sheet swapping linked here:

We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.

I highly recommend you go through it to understand how and why swapping works.

In the video I use a parameter to determine which sheet to display.  In your example I use a mix of data to display or hide a sheet.  Essentially, when a sheet has no data, it disappears, leaving room in the container for the other sheet to display.  (When we do swapping, almost always the conditions dictate that only one sheet ends up with data.)  In your case you have a filter on each of the "Days" sheets that displays only one chunk of [Ageing] data.  You could actually drag <5 Days into that same container, and it would also conditionally display with the others.

Next I created an Action for Dashboard 2.  It is a SELECT action that passes the [Ageing] value to the two "Days" sheets.  If you click on "10-30 Days" in the "Dashboard" sheet, that [Ageing] value gets passed to both of the "Days" sheets.  Because "5-10 Days" is in the filter for "5-10 Days" sheet, when you mix that filter with the action filter passing "10-30" to that sheet, you get no rows because no row has both values, of course.  So that one is blank.  But the "10-30 Days" sheet has "10-30" in the filter, and that matches what gets passed by the action, so you get rows, and that sheet gets displayed.  If you added the ", 5 Days" sheet to that container, and edited the Action to pass the value to that sheet as well, then if you had a pie value of ",5 Days" and clicked on it, only the ",5 Days" sheet would display in that container.

You will notice something.  I have hidden the Title for the swapped sheets.  The video explains why we have to do that.  (Otherwise all three titles will always display, even though the rows in two of the sheets are empty.)  If you need to have that value displayed somewhere, you can add something to the dashboard to display that separately.

Something else.  I set up the Action to clear out all three "Days" sheets when you unclick the selected pie slice.  (Edit the Action and see that I have selected "Exclude all values".)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: How to filter on the pie chart
                          vinutha vasanthu

Hi Joe,

Very detailed

Thank you so much for taking time to help me out.

Thanks,