5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2016 11:05 PM by Alex Carragher

Color Coding

Alex Carragher

Hello guys i have a small requirement regarding color coding. i have to work with Service area and 3 vendors and state i want the color of the state to be green if Apple is first in that service area, yellow if apple is second red if apple is third and gray if Apple is not present in that service area. In the map i have just allocated each service area to a state. PFA for sample twbx file.

• 1. Re: Color Coding
          Simon Runc

hi Alex,

There are (as always with Tableau!) a few ways to go about this...and depending on your 'real world' version we may need a different method....however the following is one way

So the issue here is that we need vendor in the VizLoD in order for the RANK to perform (meaning we get a mark per State/Vendor combination), and also where sales for Apple are zero it still gets a RANK...so we need to only return a single RANK (for Apple), where Apple has sales

So the first thing I did was create your RANK field, but to only return a single value for Apple

[Rank_Dense - Apple]

IF SUM(ZN(IIF([Vendor]='Apple',[Total Dollars],NULL)))=0 THEN NULL

ELSEIF ATTR([Vendor]) = 'Apple' THEN RANK_DENSE(ZN(SUM([Total Dollars]))) END

we can then use this to do our colouring

[Colouring]

IF attr([Vendor])<>'Apple' THEN 'White'

ELSEIF SUM(ZN(IIF([Vendor]='Apple',[Total Dollars],NULL)))=0 THEN 'Gray'

ELSEIF attr([Vendor])='Apple' AND [Rank_Dense - Apple] = 1 THEN 'Yellow'

ELSEIF attr([Vendor])='Apple' AND [Rank_Dense - Apple] = 2 THEN 'Green'

ELSEIF attr([Vendor])='Apple' AND [Rank_Dense - Apple] = 3 THEN 'Red'

END

I've also set the RANK for the other Vendors to white.

In all cases I've set the RANK to compute using = 'Vendor' (so we get a RANK for each Vendor per state)

Hopefully this makes sense, (I've added this to your Table sheet, which might help you see what's going on), but if not please post back

• 2. Re: Color Coding
            Alex Carragher

Hello Simon,

Thank You so much for your help,but i am still unable to achieve it. In the real data there are 43 Service Areas out of which Apple is present in only 13, in the attached pic consider first row as Samsung second as Apple and third as Motorola,so when Apple totaldollars are green then that particular Service Area  should be green in color so in my case Texas should be green in color Arizona Yellow and California as Red.

• 3. Re: Color Coding
              Alex Carragher

when i am using ur formula its giving NUll Grey & White.

• 4. Re: Color Coding
                Alex Carragher

Thank you Simon,i got what i was looking for.