1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 10:55 AM by Steve Burger

Highlighting that seemed simple, but this is a rabbit hole.... At least for me

Daniel Araya

Hello,

I have a table that looks like this (and so on):

OfficeLatLongClosest1Closest2Closest3Closest4
      Office1Lat1Long1Office2Office3Office4Office5
      Office2Lat2Long2Office1Office7Office8Office9
      Office3Lat3Long3Office10Office2Office1Office7
      Office4Lat4Long4etcetcetcetc
      Office5Lat5Long5etcetcetcetc
      Office6Lat6Long6etcetcetcetc
      Office7Lat7Long7etcetcetcetc

I can map all the dots since i have latitude and longitude, and what I want, is to highlight the 4 closest offices when i click on one of them.

In Tableau, I can only highlight members of a level within a field. For instance, I can tell the map to highlight all common locations shared within a state, or a city, or a code...

In this case, I though of creating groups so that I can tell Tableau who to highlight based on this "group" column, but it would not work because even though office x is closest to office y, maybe office y is not closest to office x.. And if I duplicate some of the rows (offices) where this happens (some offices will have more than one group) then when I click on it it's not going to know which group it belongs to and will end up highlighting the wrong 4 offices.

Any ideas?

I know filters are more versatile, so if it can be done through filters, that is fine... but preferably I would highlight.

Thanks so much for your help!!!