11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 8:23 AM by Matt Coles

Question about report bursting

Barbara Knowles

Hi.

I apologize if this has been asked before.  I've been looking for it, but can't seem to find it.

I have an alert set up to notify users if their unposted financial expenses exceed 0.  I have a view grouped by username and the email address is in the data.  If the email address is listed in the " Email To*" field and this view is named in the VIZ_PDF() call, is this sufficient for report bursting to work or am I missing a step?

Also, the data is very sensitive so I don't have the dashboard displayed in the body, instead I have a link.  When users click on the link, will they be prompted to login to the server?  Assuming they are prompted to login to the server, the security built into the workbook will apply and they will only see the expenses associated with themselves.

Next week I'll probably test this with a handful of users, but I'd prefer to have an idea about how it will work ahead of time.  The mergepdf functionality is working, as is the general alert trigger.

I really appreciate any information you can give me.  My boss and our clients are very excited about this....

Thanks.

Barbara

• 1. Re: Question about report bursting
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Barbara,

1) The required fields are the ones with the *, as long as they are all present then you’re good to go.

2) When the user clicks on the link it’s subject to how you’ve set up authentication. If the user has logged in to Tableau already and haven’t been timed out, then they won’t get a login prompt, if they haven’t logged in then they’ll get a login prompt. If you’ve integrated with Active Directory then they won’t get a login prompt if they’ve logged into AD.

Jonathan

• 2. Re: Question about report bursting
            Barbara Knowles

Okay.  Thanks.

I'd already confirmed the second answer simply by logging out of the server.  Sorry.  I should have done that first.  We've got a pretty complex security system set up so that should be fine.

And I'd already included all the required fields, plus the sort order, consolidate, cc and attachment fields.  Does report bursting apply to the pdf in the attachment?

• 3. Re: Question about report bursting
              Toby Erkson

Barbara Knowles wrote:

...Does report bursting apply to the pdf in the attachment?

Please explain, I don't understand what you mean.

• 4. Re: Question about report bursting
                Barbara Knowles

Per my original question: "I have a view grouped by username and the email address is in the data.  If the email address is listed in the " Email To*" field and this view is named in the VIZ_PDF() call...," does report bursting apply to the pdf in the attachment?

• 5. Re: Question about report bursting
                  Matt Coles

Barbara, I'm not sure that helps clarify for me much either. As I understand it, you want to email one or more PDFs as attachments to the people whose email addresses are in your data? So whatever vizzes you want to convert to a PDF and send them, you'd stick in your VIZ_PDF() call. For each row of data, an email would be sent. Let's say you had this in your viz:

Email To * Email Subject * Email Body * Email Attachment ~
                  bknowles@blah.comBarbara, you've got PDFClick and enjoyVIZ_PDF(someworkbook/someviz)
                  mcoles@blah.comMatt, you've got PDFClick and enjoyVIZ_PDF(someworkbook/someviz)
                  terkson@blah.comSorry Toby, no PDF for youClick and enjoy

So the first two rows would be separate emails to you and I, with the PDF of "someviz" attached. Poor Toby would receive the email but without the attachment. In the processing cycle of VizAlerts, the "someworkbook/someviz" would only be rendered to PDF once, then the same attachment would be emailed to us both separately. It would contain the exact same data, therefore. However, you could also customize what the PDF contains in multiple ways, even dynamically based on the recipient you wanted the email go to.

Does that answer your question, Barbara? If not, could you perhaps provide a mockup of a workbook that helps illustrate what you're after?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Question about report bursting
                    Barbara Knowles

No.

I have various email addresses as shown below and I have one viz – VIZ_PDF(someworkbook/someviz).  The viz is grouped by the username associated with the email address.  I thought the viz would be split up and sent to each user so that they would only see their own data.  Is that assumption incorrect?  I thought that’s what report bursting meant.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Barbara

• 7. Re: Question about report bursting
                      Wale Ilori

Hi Barbara,

I'm familiar with bursting but with SAP's Web Intelligence and yes, your description is correct. However, in Tableau, I don't know of its capability to do what you asked but if I were to do it, I'd most likely

1. use Alteryx to parse out the data and automate the creation of views from each persons parsed out data (.tde) which I agree could get a bit unweildy especially if the list is long or
                      2. use  some of the automation tools out there (eg Automate, Data Loader, etc) to create a script that would select each person from a drop down list in your viz and create the pdf for each person and then use Alteryx to automate the dispatch of each viz from the stored location to each of the individuals.

Probably not the solution you were looking for but just giving you my ideas of a workaround. I've used the latter option to automate the movement of data from one ERP to another using the new ERP's forms with pretty good success like a decade ago so am sure this approach would have a much better outcome with improvements today.

Wale

• 8. Re: Question about report bursting
                        Matt Coles

I think I'm finally understanding the confusion.

Generally with an alert like this you would not use a single viz for it. Rather, with VizAlerts' "advanced alerts", you have something we refer to as a "trigger viz". Think of it as a text table whose filters provide the condition determining whether emails will be sent, and the data in the fields containing the instructions on who to send what email content to. Now, you can stop right there if all you want to send is simple text emails to people.

If you want to embed or attach other viz information into the emails being sent, then you would instruct VizAlerts to do that via a content reference, e.g. VIZ_PDF.

The list of users is all you need to set up a VizAlert to email each of these individuals notifying them of their unposted financial expenses exceeding 0. This list is referred to as the "Trigger Viz", since it's telling VizAlerts when to send an email, and to who. Typically, in an "Advanced Alert" such as we're talking about, the trigger viz is simply a text table which functions as "instructions" to VizAlerts about what to send to whom. The VIZ_PDF() and other "content references" as we are referring to them, are how you would add additional content to the emails being sent. They would typically refer to a viz that is

not the trigger viz--generally something beautiful, informative, etc.

In your case, it sounds like you want a single viz to serve as both the trigger viz and the visual content you want added to the PDF attachment? If so, you can probably do it--but I would recommend duplicating the sheet, then reformatting it as a text table to serve as the trigger viz because it makes it much clearer what VizAlerts will do.

Probably the most important thing to understand when you are using content references (VIZ_PDF, VIZ_IMAGE, VIZ_CSV) to attach or embed content in your emails is that they will be accessed by your Tableau Server account. So if you simply point them at a viz, the recipient of the email would get what you would see if you were the one accessing the viz on Tableau Server. To personalize these reports, you need to expose a filter on them that lets you pick the person, then pass in a URL parameter in your content reference that tells the viz what to show for that person:

VIZ_PDF(workbook/view) : Access the view and render it to PDF

VIZ_PDF(workbook/view?employee=mcoles) : Filter the view to show "mcoles"'s data and render it to PDF

I've mocked up an example from Excel data, and from Superstore to see if I can come close to what I think you're trying to do. Let me know if it helps at all.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Question about report bursting
                          Barbara Knowles

Thanks.  I’ve already done much of what you mentioned in the email.  I already have a trigger viz and a separate viz for the attachment.

What I needed was this bit of information:

VIZ_PDF(workbook/view?employee=mcoles) : Filter the view to show "mcoles"'s data and render it to PDF

Thanks so much!

• 10. Re: Question about report bursting
                            Wale Ilori

Thanks for your answer Matt. Haven't gotten round to using Viz_Alerts yet but now really intrigued to explore it.

• 11. Re: Question about report bursting
                              Matt Coles

If your question was answered, would you mind marking the right response "correct", please? Thank you!