9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 1:44 AM by Web Dev

Tableau 9.2 Map data label

Web Dev

I created a filled map using zip codes and added city names that I uploaded from an Excel spreadsheet.  The map displays fine, but I can only see the zip code and city name data labels if I hover over it one at a time.   I can not view all at once and also if print to .pdf, I get the same result.  I am using the Tableau map and do not have access to link it online.   Any ideas are greatly appreciated on how to fix.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Tableau 9.2 Map data label
          Kent Marten

Web Dev

If you have a City and Zip Code as their own fields and they are both on the viz, City will always geocode, even if Zip Code is on Detail.

If you want to see a map that geocodes Zip and displays a label with City and Zip, you will need to create a calculated field.

Does that help?

Thanks, Kent

Product Manager, Maps

• 2. Re: Tableau 9.2 Map data label
            Web Dev

Thanks for your reply and the info.  I would upload the Tableau file but I can't at this time.  When I tried the calculated field method it's not working, when I choose the calculated field in a filled map - tableau will automatically remove the calculated field zip code, city and replace it will city.  In a symbol map, nothing is displayed the zip, city names are not recognized.   Just to clarify, I do not have access to web with the Tableau server, I get an error online maps can not be loaded.  However, as I mentioned, I can see the zip code and city names fine in a field map but only when I hover over each city, one at a time.

• 3. Re: Tableau 9.2 Map data label
              Kent Marten

Web Dev

When you tried the calculated field method, what error did you get OR what happened?

What did you have on the Marks card in the Filled Map?

-what was on Detail?

-what was on Label?

The more detail you can share with me, the easier it will be for me to understand how this is working and how to help you.  If you can include step by step instructions for recreating your viz and explain what errors you encounter as you go, it will help in troubleshooting.

Thanks, Kent

• 4. Re: Tableau 9.2 Map data label
                Web Dev

Thanks for the reply.  When I try to do a filled map, the calculated field zip code,city gets removed and replaced with city automatically by Tableau.  When I try to do a symbol map, the calculated field remains but the map is blank (zip and city aren't recognized). I am attaching a screen shot of the setup.  ThanksUntitled.jpg

• 5. Re: Tableau 9.2 Map data label
                  Web Dev

I also created another map using just the zip code and get the same results. I can see the zip codes but only one at a time if I hover over it.  Might be easier to resolve if I can get that part working to print to .PDF and display the zip codes in the map.

• 6. Re: Tableau 9.2 Map data label
                    Web Dev

looks like I got it working ok.  Instead of using the calculated field. I went back to the original map that is using the zip code, next I drop the corresponding city field onto the map.  In order to get the city to actively display on the map, I had to drag the field onto the Mark Card ABC 123 Label and it worked.  Thanks very much for the assistance with this issue.