2 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2016 2:34 AM by Carl Slifer

New to Tableau, need help creating a chart

Vineeth Jose

I have a CSV file with 60,000 + rows and two columns, column one is the ID number of sales and cloumn two is the timestamp of the sale.  How can I create a chart that will show me at what times in a day
      most sales have happened in the last 7 years.
      Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 2.20.02 AM.png

• 1. Re: New to Tableau, need help creating a chart
          Peter Kontogeorgis

Vineeth,

Please find attached a workbook which demonstrates one way of achieving what you are after.

By changing the grain of the date (it's set to continuous minute) you can adjust the frequency that you are sampling for.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: New to Tableau, need help creating a chart
            Carl Slifer

Howdy Vineeth,

1) Choose how you are breaking out your days, by minutes, hours, half-hours, 15 minute intervals, etc.

2) Let's assume you chose hours as it is the easiest one and lets also assume this is retail sales so we assume a variance between days as well.

3) Right Click and drag your timestamp field to columns. When presented with a list of options choose 'hour' and make sure you select the one that is blue.

4)  Right Click and drag your timestamp field to columns. When presented with a list of options choose 'weekday'

5) Using the drop down menu on your marks card change the default marks type to 'square'

5) Right Click and drag your SalesID to the colours shelf and choose CNT - This stands for COUNT

6) Click on the labels shelf of the marks card and select the option at the top (if you want), to show mark labels.

You've created highlight table where the darker colours represent a higher quantity of sales and the lighter shades a lesser quantity.

Cheers!

Carl Slifer

InterWorks