1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 18, 2016 5:46 AM by Yuriy Fal

Is there a way to plot a pair of lat-longs on the same map without unioning's Cartesian effects?

Scott Green

I have a dataset where each row has a "A" location's lat and long and a "Z" location's lat and long (same record).  I'm wanting to plot the A's in one color and Z's in another color, but on the same map - both share the same map.

I've seen solutions where we must union the dataset to get a single row for each A and single row for each Z, but it's not feasible in my situation because I have to link or blend the data back to the original table, which causes a Cartesian effect and in essence overstates numbers presented in other charts in the workbook.

Is there a way to plot a pair of lat-longs on the same map without unioning's Cartesian effects?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to plot a pair of lat-longs on the same map without unioning's Cartesian effects?
          Yuriy Fal

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately, having two pairs of Lat/Lon on a single map view is not an option.

So you need to prepare your dataset to have only one Lat/Lon pair in it

(together with your original Row ID field and a newly created A/Z label field, too).

You could do it as a distinct datasource for your map view only,

so other views in your workbook couldn't be destroyed.

Including Row ID field from the original dataset makes it possible to avoid a Cartesian complication.

You could make all your Measures like this using FIXED LOD expressions:

{ FIXED [Row ID] : MIN([Your_Measure]) }

It is in essence a Row-Level calculation, so it could be further aggregated

the same way as any other Measure from your original dataset.

Hope it could help.

Yours,

Yuri