5 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2016 9:38 AM by Tim Hughes

How to display Yearly Grand Total while displaying Totals of each location?

Daniel Chen

I have yearly totals of each store# by specific month.

To see yearly Grand Total, i have to remove the 'Store #' column.

Is there a way to combine these two into one table?

• 1. Re: How to display Yearly Grand Total while displaying Totals of each location?
          Tim Hughes

Hi Daniel,

There are two ways to achieve what you are asking:

1. If you swap the position of your store field with your year field then you can add subtotals (Analysis > Totals > Add all subtotals) for the years.  To remove unwanted subtotals, click the dimension pill on the columns/rows shelf > uncheck Subtotals.

2. If you want to keep the current layout then you can add store totals as another row using level of detail calculation: {EXCLUDE [Store]: SUM(Sales)}

Cheers,

Tim

• 2. Re: How to display Yearly Grand Total while displaying Totals of each location?
            Daniel Chen

Thanks, Tim.

I would need Option #2, but the same Total store sales amount would be showing on column of each row.

Guess the easier option is to present two tables on a dashboard then use filter to select each individual item?

• 3. Re: How to display Yearly Grand Total while displaying Totals of each location?
              Tim Hughes

Hi Daniel,

Sure, you could put both worksheets in a dashboard and then filter to a single item.  But I would encourage you to address your analysis in a more visual way (that is the purpose of Tableau afterall).  For example, you could use a dual axis to show both store and totals together:

In the above example, the orange and blue marks represent the values from the individual stores and the gray bars represent the overall value.

-Tim

• 4. Re: How to display Yearly Grand Total while displaying Totals of each location?
                Daniel Chen

Thank you, Tim.

For this individual case, i need to use tables instead of visual chart.

So instead of using the filter in the dashboard, there's no other option except using the Option #2 {EXCLUDE [Store]: SUM(Sales)} to have the same Total store sales amount showing on column of each row?

• 5. Re: How to display Yearly Grand Total while displaying Totals of each location?
                  Tim Hughes

Hi Daniel,

Another possibility would be to write a custom SQL connection that builds a totals value within your store field, which gives you something that looks like this:

2016-05-31_9-16-07.png

If you're using Excel as your data source, make sure to use the legacy connection (Microsoft's JET driver):

JET.png

The custom SQL to accomplish this is as follows:

SELECT

[Orders$].[Discount] AS [Discount],

[Orders$].[Order Date] AS [Order Date],

[Orders$].[Profit] AS [Profit],

[Orders$].[Quantity] AS [Quantity],

[Orders$].[Region] AS [Store],

[Orders$].[Region] AS [Store - Filter],

[Orders$].[Row ID] AS [Row ID],

[Orders$].[Sales] AS [Sales],

[Orders$].[Sub-Category] AS [Sub-Category]

FROM [Orders$]

UNION ALL

SELECT

[Orders$].[Discount] AS [Discount],

[Orders$].[Order Date] AS [Order Date],

[Orders$].[Profit] AS [Profit],

[Orders$].[Quantity] AS [Quantity],

'' AS [Store],

[Orders$].[Region] AS [Store - Filter],

[Orders$].[Row ID] AS [Row ID],

[Orders$].[Sales] AS [Sales],

[Orders$].[Sub-Category] AS [Sub-Category]

FROM [Orders$]

Instead of writing the SQL from scratch, you can drag your table into the view, and then convert it to a custom SQL connection:

Convert.png

Otherwise I'm out of ideas .  I've attached the workbook for your reference.

Hope this helps!

-Tim