2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2016 9:17 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Need to Edit Locations for each worksheet separately ?

Kalyan Allam

Hi all,

I have some misspelled Cities in my data and I represented the right Cities from Edit Locations. No issue so far. But when I am trying to locate the cities again in a different worksheet, tableau is saying that there are still some issues with the city names.

Do I have to Edit Locations for each worksheet separately ?

• 1. Re: Need to Edit Locations for each worksheet separately ?
          Yuriy Fal

Hi Kalyan,

Changing geo-field values via Edit Locations is like editing

Aliases for any other Dimension field in a datasource.

So any changes one made via Edit Locations is for this Geo-field in this Datasource.

To make them work in different workbooks one could copy the modified datasource

(just copy one simple view based on it) into other workbooks as well and use it for other views.

Hope it could help.

Yours,

Yuri

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need to Edit Locations for each worksheet separately ?
            Jonathan Drummey

One thing to keep in mind is that the new locations applied with Edit Locations are processed “late” in the pipeline, after aggregation. So if I have a data set with misspellings like:

City     Value

Biddeford     1

Bideford     2

Beddeford     3

and set the location for the latter two to the correct “Biddeford”, when I put SUM(Value) in the view I’m going to get three marks plotted on top of one another with values of 1, 2, and 3, not one mark with a value of 6. If you want one mark with a value of 6 then the corrections need to be made prior to aggregation. You could potentially do this with a data blend, even better would be an additional table in your data source that you can join to for the accurate spellings.

Jonathan

2 of 2 people found this helpful