2 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 8:11 AM by DAVID STRONG

Public version only - Recreate Workbook from local copy or Must start over ?

DAVID STRONG

Public version only - Recreate Workbook from local copy or Must start over ?

I'm a new user to Tableau, learning Tableau with the public version while working thru the exercises in my first "Tableau Book" -- Learn Tableau by Joshua Milligan

My last workbook, I had created by using SAVE TO PUBLIC AS instead of starting with a NEW workbook from scratch, mistakenly thinking that I could just continue from there in re-working this "additional workbook"

But I had apparently overwritten my new workbook with the older workbook (on public).

Realizing my mistake, I deleted both workbooks from public and was wanting to upload these two workbooks back into public from my computer.

I can open them in Tableau Reader, but Public will not open them at my computer folder because they are no longer on public.

As I understand it, Tech Support is only available for paying customers (?) so they can't help me upload these to my public page.

Do I have any options for recreating or do I just start over from scratch ... ?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Public version only - Recreate Workbook from local copy or Must start over ?
          G Marc Turner

I haven't used Tableau Public version in a couple of months, but from what I remember Public can only save and open from the Tableau Public Server. One potential solution, though it might violate terms of service somewhere along the lines, would be to use the demo version to republish them. Basically, you'd download the free demo of the full version (good for 14 days I think), open the packaged workbooks, and publish to Public Server. You should then be able to open them from the Public Server using Public desktop.

Hope this helps

-marc

• 2. Re: Public version only - Recreate Workbook from local copy or Must start over ?
            DAVID STRONG

Hey, thanks for the help.

I would go with the download trial option, if this were a college or work

project, but since it's my self-learning, I've already re-created my last

two workbooks.

I'll just have to be a little more careful next time

I had only known about Microsoft Excel and SQL Server Reporting type

dashboards previously

I've recently been laid off and found out about Tableau indirectly thru

internet job descriptions.  It's impressive both because of the easier

learning curve (minimal coding) and lower infrastructure costs (which would

appeal to smaller business clients).  Tableau is also the number two

company behind QwikView

I'm hoping that if I keep up with Tableau, it might help me in future job

opportunities here in Saint Louis.

By then I should be back on track with my own copy of Tableau Desktop

- Dave Strong

1 of 1 people found this helpful