2 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2016 7:33 AM by Hannah Williams

Timeout error

Hannah Williams

Hi Matt,

I'm getting a timeout error sometimes, is it possible to increase the timeout?

VizAlerts was unable to export data for this view. Error message: Unable to export viewname 1.emailAlert as csv, error: Unable to get vizdata from url http://tableau2.studentuniverse.com/t/operations/views/MonitorDashboard/1_emailAlert?&:format=csv&:refresh=y. Cause: HTTPConnectionPool(host='tableau2.studentuniverse.com', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=30)

I'm using the alerts for performance alerts so need to be very confident they'll send.

Thanks

Hannah

• 1. Re: Timeout error
          Matt Coles

Hey Hannah. There are two settings in the vizalerts.yaml file which will increase reliability of alerts, at the cost of potentially taxing Tableau Server more. They are both defined as a series of rules whose interpretations are described in the adjacent comments:

viz.data.timeout:                           # viz timeouts relative to scheduled frequency
          - [0, 3600, 30]                             # if viz was run between 0 and 3600 seconds ago, allow it a 30s timeout
          - [3600, 7200, 60]                          # if viz was run between 3600 and 7200 seconds ago, allow it a 60s / 1 min timeout
          - [7200, 14400, 120]                        # if viz was run between 7200 and 14400 seconds ago, allow it a 120s / 2 min timeout
          - [14400, 315360000, 300]                   # if viz was run between 14400 seconds and 10 years ago, allow it a 300s / 5 min timeout
          viz.data.retrieval_tries:                   # number of attempts to download viz data, relative to scheduled frequency
          - [0, 3600, 1]                              # if viz was run between 0 and 3600 seconds ago, allow it 1 attempt
          - [3600, 7200, 2]                           # if viz was run between 3600 and 7200 seconds ago, allow it 2 attempts
          - [7200, 14400, 2]                          # if viz was run between 7200 and 14400 seconds ago, allow it 2 attempts
          - [14400, 315360000, 3]                     # if viz was run between 14400 seconds and 10 years ago, allow it 3 attempts

You may modify, add more, or less rules as you see fit. As performance can fluctuate with back-end systems your viz may be connecting to, longer timeouts and more retries may be required. On larger Tableau Server instances such as mine, I keep the timeouts fairly strict on the alerts that run frequently so that our server and systems are better able to scale with the workload. When they fail, I ask the author / subscriber to switch to a less frequent schedule, or improve the performance of their viz. But increasing these values should work to help increase the reliability of your own alerts.

One thing to know is that if your back-end database that you built your viz on is down, your alert will be attempted with the number of tries defined in the yaml, but once it's failed, we won't retry it again until it was next Scheduled to fire.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Timeout error
            Hannah Williams

Great thanks, I'm using live data from a number of DB's so the timing can be sporadic. I went for this:

viz.data.timeout: [0, 2628000,180]

viz.data.retrieval_tries: [0, 2628000, 3]

1 of 1 people found this helpful