7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 11:53 PM by Lance Martens

Assistance required with how to schedule an "automated email report" of a dashboard

Lance Martens

Hi All,

I would appreciate any assistance with regards how to setup a scheduled email report of one of my Dashboards?

Logic:

At 18:00 every Monday evening a pdf of my dashboard status is emailed to a select group of individuals

Cheers,

Lance

• 1. Re: Assistance required with how to schedule an "automated email report" of a dashboard
          khalid norat

This can be done using tabcmd scripts and windows schedular

please see following link

https://community.tableau.com/message/186471

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Assistance required with how to schedule an "automated email report" of a dashboard
            Lance Martens

Appreciate the assistance Khalid,

I’ll have a chat to our IT people regarding the server coding required and provide you feedback

Cheers,

Lance

• 3. Re: Assistance required with how to schedule an "automated email report" of a dashboard
              Toby Erkson

I recommend implementing VizAlerts.  This will help you AND others as well if your Tableau Server administrator is helpful and willing.

• 4. Re: Assistance required with how to schedule an "automated email report" of a dashboard
                Lance Martens

Our IT chaps had a go at configuring our Tableau server and this is the result they encountered (please reference the context below). Can anyone advise what corrective action we should take?

Hi Lance,

Even after adding the server to the ‘clearance’ list for sending e-mails, I am still getting the same errors.

Can any of your guru friends help with this, please?

The error message below is from the Windows Event Viewer. I have also included a screen shot of the error in the Tableau Status screen, and attached the text file downloaded from the Status error.

The description for Event ID 4096 from source Tableau Server (Backgrounder) cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

2016-06-16 09:00:43.017 +1000 pool-3-thread-1 Anglo American | AAMC  ERROR : com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.subscriptions.SubscriptionRunner - Sending email failed for subscription id 3

1. javax.mail.MessagingException: [EOF] at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueCommand(SMTPTransport.java:1481) at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueSendCommand(SMTPTransport.java:1512) at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.mailFrom(SMTPTransport.java:1054)  at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:634) at com.tableausoftware.core.util.SMTPClient.sendMessage(SMTPClient.java:300) at com.tableausoftware.core.util.SMTPClient.send(SMTPClient.java:219) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.util.EmailHelper.sendEmail(EmailHelper.java:131) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.util.EmailHelper.sendSubscriptionEmail(EmailHelper.java:75) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.subscriptions.SubscriptionRunner.sendEmail(SubscriptionRunner.java:344) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.subscriptions.SubscriptionRunner.sendEmailSubscription(SubscriptionRunner.java:313) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.subscriptions.SubscriptionRunner.runSubscription_aroundBody0(SubscriptionRunner.java:176) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.subscriptions.SubscriptionRunner$AjcClosure1.run(SubscriptionRunner.java:1) at org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AbstractTransactionAspect.ajc$around$org_springframework_transaction_aspectj_AbstractTransactionAspect$1$2a73e96cproceed(AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:66) at org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AbstractTransactionAspect$AbstractTransactionAspect$1.proceedWithInvocation(AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:72) at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionAspectSupport.invokeWithinTransaction(TransactionAspectSupport.java:281) at org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AbstractTransactionAspect.ajc$around$org_springframework_transaction_aspectj_AbstractTransactionAspect$1$2a73e96c(AbstractTransactionAspect.aj:70) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.subscriptions.SubscriptionRunner.runSubscription(SubscriptionRunner.java:133) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.workers.SingleSubscriptionWorker.executeWithDataengine_aroundBody0(SingleSubscriptionWorker.java:83) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.workers.SingleSubscriptionWorker$AjcClosure1.run(SingleSubscriptionWorker.java:1) at org.aspectj.runtime.reflect.JoinPointImpl.proceed(JoinPointImpl.java:149) at com.tableausoftware.instrumentation.InstrumentedMethod.instrumentInvocation(InstrumentedMethod.java:67) at com.tableausoftware.instrumentation.InstrumentationAspect.aroundAnnotatedMethod(InstrumentationAspect.java:57) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.workers.SingleSubscriptionWorker.executeWithDataengine(SingleSubscriptionWorker.java:72) at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.workers.DataengineDependentWorker.execute(DataengineDependentWorker.java:67) at com.tableausoftware.backgrounder.runner.BackgroundJobRunner$ExecuteJobImplCallable.call_aroundBody0(BackgroundJobRunner.java:433) at com.tableausoftware.backgrounder.runner.BackgroundJobRunner$ExecuteJobImplCallable$AjcClosure1.run(BackgroundJobRunner.java:1) at org.aspectj.runtime.reflect.JoinPointImpl.proceed(JoinPointImpl.java:149) at com.tableausoftware.instrumentation.InstrumentedMethod.instrumentInvocation(InstrumentedMethod.java:67) at com.tableausoftware.instrumentation.InstrumentationAspect.aroundAnnotatedMethod(InstrumentationAspect.java:57) at com.tableausoftware.backgrounder.runner.BackgroundJobRunner$ExecuteJobImplCallable.call(BackgroundJobRunner.java:418) at com.tableausoftware.backgrounder.runner.BackgroundJobRunner$ExecuteJobImplCallable.call(BackgroundJobRunner.java:1) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Cheers,

Lance

• 5. Re: Assistance required with how to schedule an "automated email report" of a dashboard
                  khalid norat

Sorry Lance this is beyond my knowledge of Tableau Server.

There are Tableau Server Experts on the community - I do hope someone picks this up and points you in the right direction.

If however you do not get a response on this try contacting your Tableau Account manager and they should be able to point you into the right direction of someone who should be able to assist.

• 6. Re: Assistance required with how to schedule an "automated email report" of a dashboard
                    Toby Erkson

I agree with Khalid.  Either re-install or contact Tableau Support.

• 7. Re: Assistance required with how to schedule an "automated email report" of a dashboard
                      Lance Martens

I referred our IT chaps to the Tableau Server support team and all is now well, I have set up a schedule and my reports are working just fine.

Cheers for the guidance all and assistance Tableau Server Team!

Lance