8 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2016 6:13 AM by Toby Erkson

Team need help. I have been moved to sever admin level in my organisation

rushendra sriram

Hi Team,

I am have been promoted to handle the Server admin activities for my org. Need your help in terms of learning faster.

Below topics, I need a help.

Maintenance,

How to take Back up

Upgrade the server when new patch is released.

what kind of activity will be there in licensensing.

Thank you,

Rushendra

• 1. Re: Team need help. I have been moved to sever admin level in my organisation
          Toby Erkson

Hey Rush, congratulations!   Read the Administrator's Guide for your version is the best way to learn right now so you understand the ins & outs.  Then it's practice, experimentation, and searching in this forum

Do you have a QA/TEST environment?  You'll want that so you can make sure the next version you upgrade to works for you.  As we have seen here, not all versions that come out are necessary or functional.  You are allowed three environments with a Server license.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Team need help. I have been moved to sever admin level in my organisation
            Toby Erkson

Backups

Attached are the backup scripts I use, modify them for your use (file locations for sure!):

backup.bat = used when manually backing up my TS (Tableau Server) before an upgrade/patch.

backup-daily.bat = Windows Task Scheduler is used to fire this off daily.  Make sure you have enough space to save the backups, they can get big!

backup_restore.bat = used if I need to restore a backup.

del_old_backups.bat = deletes backup files after a given number of days (set for 2 days, so a file that is on its third day will be deleted).  Windows Task Scheduler is used to fire this off daily.

This requires the following (info here: DelAge Download and Horst Schaeffer's Software Pages):

• delage32.exe
            • other files are for information:
              • delage.htm
              • delage_Codepage.txt
              • delage32.txt

Licensing

Licensing is automatic.  I don't have to deal with it, it just works

• 4. Re: Team need help. I have been moved to sever admin level in my organisation
              rushendra sriram

Hi Doug,

Thank you for the sharing the information, It is completely help ful. I have a questions  delage32 is same as Tab admin or some thing different.

About Licensing:

My knowledge, two things are there, user based Licensing and core based licensing. Since my org has a core based licensing. Do i need know is any thing to learn in user based licensing.

we have taken a 8 core system with unlimited users. Could you please let me know, what is the maximum load it support?  i heared is 100 GB.

I need to know about maintenances acitivies apart from back up.

How we need to manage the load balancing.

Thanks in advance

Rushendra SV.

• 5. Re: Team need help. I have been moved to sever admin level in my organisation
                rushendra sriram

Hi Toby,

I need to understand.. In a core how many server nodes can be installed.

• 6. Re: Team need help. I have been moved to sever admin level in my organisation
                  Tharashasank Davuluru

HI,

This is what is in licenses agreement?

2.3.1 User-Based Server License:  If your Server

Software license is designated as User-Based, the Named

Authorized Users enabled to use such Server Software must not

exceed the number of licenses purchased on the Invoice or specified

at the time of purchase.  If your User-based Server Software license

is designated on the applicable Invoice or at the time of purchase as

Guest Authorized User enabled, for each such license you may

enable an unlimited number of Guest Authorized Users.

2.3.2 Core-Based Server License: If your Server

Software license is designated on the applicable Invoice or at the

time of purchase as Core-based, for each such license, an unlimited

number of Named Authorized Users may use the Server Software,

provided that the total number of Cores residing on all computers

where the Server Software is installed does not exceed the permitted

number of Cores identified on your Invoice or at the time of

purchase.  When the Server Software is installed and distributed

across multiple computers, all the Cores in each of these computers

count toward to the total number of Cores licensed  by you and

indentified on your Invoice or at the time of purchase.  "Core" means

the processor or execution core contained in the same integrated

circuit within a computer’s central processing unit, whether such

Cores are virtual or physical. If your Core-based Server Software

license is designated as “Guest Authorized User enabled”, for each

such license, you may enable an unlimited number of Guest

Authorized Users.

• 7. Re: Team need help. I have been moved to sever admin level in my organisation
                    Tharashasank Davuluru

Hi,

Tableau licensing policy

Tableau Software licenses include the following editions:

Tableau Desktop Personal Edition is a personal version of the product and the fastest system and business intelligence solution for the visualization, which allows its users to collect data from Excel, MS Access, or text files.

Tableau Desktop Professional Edition is a professional version, which allows its users to work with data from different sources, including databases.

Tableau Server is a web-oriented platform for business analysis of data in companies of all sizes. Users have access to data in the form of a control panel (dashboard), reports and different types of visualization through the web, which allows them to work interactively with the data.

Calculating the cost for Tableau Server depends on the number of developers and users of the system.

Description of the modules

Note

Tableau server (named users)

Tableau Desktop Professional

The minimum server configuration Tableau - 1 Desktop Professional+10 Webclient Interactor

Tableau Web Client Interactor

The minimum server configuration Tableau - 1 Desktop Professional+10 Webclient Interactor

Tableau server (processor license, 8 cores)

Tableau Small Business Edition Server

The company with a staff of less than 5'000 around the world has the right to purchase it. License for 8 cores, the number of users is unlimited

Tableau Enterprise Edition Server

The company with a staff of less than 5'000 around the world has the right to purchase it. License for 8 cores, the number of users is unlimited

Дополнительные 2 ядра для Tableau Server

Tableau local versions (Desktop)

Tableau Desktop Professional

Tableau Desktop Personal

SPECIAL PACKAGES

50 Tableau Web Client Interactor

Package discount 10%

100 Tableau Web Client Interactor

Package discount 20%

20 Tableau Desktop Professional

Package discount 10%

50 Tableau Desktop Professional

Package discount 20%

100 Tableau Desktop Professional

Package discount 30%

• 8. Re: Team need help. I have been moved to sever admin level in my organisation
                      Toby Erkson

Delage32 is "after-market", that is, it's has nothing to do with Tableau.  It's a free program that allows deleting files of a certain age, that's why I included links to the other sites and why it can't be found in any Tableau documentation.

You can ignore User-based licensing stuff, just stick with the core-based stuff for your licensing situation.

I don't know what you mean by "load".  Concurrent users is typically the biggest concern from Tableau though mine is how it can keep up with extracts and subscriptions.  There is no magical number, just general guidelines.

In terms of extract sizes, our largest was just under 10GB.  I asked the author why so large, he re-evaluated it, and knocked it down to 2GB.  If someone created an extract at 10GB+ I would question it -- which, obviously I did with my user   I also set my servers up so extracts are only given 3 hours; any longer and they're terminated.

REM Longest allowable time for completing an extract refresh, in seconds (10800 seconds = 3 hours)
                      tabadmin set backgrounder.querylimit 10800

You really need to take the time to read the Administration Guide.  You're asking a lot of questions -- and you'll be asking even more -- with no definite end so this thread will just keep on going.  Read the manual, read the threads that are here in the server forum, and experiment on your QA server if you need to.  Don't be afraid to reach out to your sales rep. and Tableau Support for help, your company paid Tableau a big chunk o' money so their support is there.