5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 1:07 PM by Peter Seok

Bar in Bar Parameters Question

Peter Seok

Hi Everyone,

Apologies in advance for the newb question, I've provided a simple extract example of the data that I'm working with.  Just some anticipated and actual start and end dates, and I'm trying to put together some bar in bar charts using parameters to show the targets (anticipate start or end dates), against the actuals (start or end dates).

I'm already a bit lost as to how to set up my parameters, can anyone please help?  From the beginning, is there a way I can classify the month AND year of my start and end dates via formula?  Right now, I only see the year function.

In the end, I'm looking for everything split by category, where the big bar (target) is the anticipated start date, and the small bar (actual) is the actual start date.  Thanks very much in advance!

• 1. Re: Bar in Bar Parameters Question
          Tom W

You haven't explained why you need parameters and your sample data alone isn't enough for me to infer what it is you're trying to achieve. All your expected versus actuals are exactly the same which I think might be a mistake.

It would be helpful if you could attach a Tableau Packaged Workbook showing your work thus far along with some sort of a mockup of what you're looking for.

• 2. Re: Bar in Bar Parameters Question
            Peter Seok

Hi Tom,

Sorry about that, I've attached a workbook with what I'm trying to do.  I've read through a bunch of literature on parameters, and I just can't get it to work for my particular example.  I've got everything split out the way I want it, but I'd like to put the 'Actual Start' bar inside of the 'Expected Start' bar, and the 'Actual End' bar inside the 'Expected End' bar.

Basically, just the target (expected) against the actual.  As I understand it, i'd need parameters to do this, but if there's a simpler way, please let me know!  Thanks very much for your help!

• 3. Re: Bar in Bar Parameters Question
              Tom W

Hi Peter,

I still don't know 'what' it is you're trying to visualize. You've provided an example based on the count of items - are you just trying to show a bar with the count of Expected Starts in the background with a count of Actual Starts inside?

• 4. Re: Bar in Bar Parameters Question
                Tom W

Following up to my last response - here's an example of a bar inside a bar. Note, it's in Tableau 9.2, that's the oldest version I could go back to on my PC.

Here's what it looks like and how I achieved it;

• The blue bar is the count of records with an 'Actual Start'
                • The grey bar is the count of records with an 'Expected Start'
                • Set the 'mark' type as Bar, drag measure names into color and measure name onto size. A new 'Size' section will appear below (it's the section at the bottom left of my screenshot) where you can edit the size of the bars.
                • Click the Analysis Menu > Stack Marks > Off.
                • 5. Re: Bar in Bar Parameters Question
                  Peter Seok

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for your help!  For some reason, I was under the impression that parameters were required to pull bars into bars, but your example highlights it perfectly, thanks again!