8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 5:48 PM by Russell Christopher

Assistance required for installing tabmon

shoba Hari

Hi,

I tried to enable JMX port to install tabmon, when I ran this command line

tabadmin stop

tabadmin set  service.jmx_enabled true

tabamin configure

tabadmin start

one of the data server processor on both the worker node went down.

The data server processor are assigned the default port 9700, 9701 on both the workers.

Could someone help me to identify, where I'm going wrong and what need to be done.

Thanks,

Shoba

• 1. Re: Assistance required for installing tabmon
          Russell Christopher

Hi Shoba -

It's difficult to understand what you're asking for. You've correctly told Tableau Server that JMX counters can be read by external process (TabMon, in this case). That's good.

You then started Tableau Server, and I  assume Tableau  Server is running fine...

However then you say "One Data Server Processor on both worker nodes went down". How do you know? Are you seeing an error in the Tableau Server Status screen? In the TabMon logs?

Please be more specific and give us the errors you're actually seeing - a screenshot or (even better) a log should be posted...

• 2. Re: Assistance required for installing tabmon
            shoba Hari

Hi Russell,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I stopped the tableau server to enable JMX port prior installing tabmon.

As soon as I enabled JMX, and started the tableau server, one of the data server processes went down on worker node 1 & 2.

We have 2 instance of data server processes on each of the worker.

I checked the status of tableau server by running the "tabadmin status -v" on command line as well on the url link.

I found there's a port conflict as the port 10000 & 10001 are used by windows system processes, so planning to change the default port of data server process to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Shoba

• 3. Re: Assistance required for installing tabmon
              Russell Christopher

Hmmm. Ports 10000+ are what JMX for Data Server will listen on, but I've never seen the Data Server service itself not start when those ports are taken. You can't actually TELL Tableau which ports should be used for JMX - we determine that automatically.

Out of curiosity, did the Data Servers come back up if you disabled JMX on the Server

Also, what 3rd-party apps/processes actually are holding onto either 10001 or 10000 on these machines?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Assistance required for installing tabmon
                shoba Hari

Hi Russell,

Yes the data server processes came up after I disabled the JMX port.

Ports 10000 is used by wininit.exe & 10001 is used by svchost.exe.

Regards,

Shoba

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Assistance required for installing tabmon
                  sudhakar sangangiri

Hello Russell Christopher ,

Can you please help me opening the JMX port's mentioned in below link.

Enable the JMX Ports

I'm able to access the tabmon workbook but couldn't access the information related to Cache Hits, Latency, Users, and Requests sheets.

Thanks,

Regards,

Sudhakar reddy

• 6. Re: Assistance required for installing tabmon
                    Russell Christopher

Did you follow the directions in the link you sent? Did you follow the instructions that came with TabJolt?

• 7. Re: Assistance required for installing tabmon
                      sudhakar sangangiri

Hello Russell,

Yes i do but i don't have the idea of how to open the ports that are specified in the above link.

Where should i go and open this port from ?

i came across the a discussion which states

"Between version 9.0 and 9.1 of Tableau Server, we changed the internal names of many of our JMX counters.  The Counters.config file that ships with TabMon supports the new 9.1+ naming conventions.  To adjust for the old naming system, simply open Counters.config and do a find and replace all, substituting the term "webclientappservice" with "iwebclientappservice.""

I tried doing the same and no luck .Can you help me out opening the ports mentioned above in the article.

Regards,

Sudhakar Reddy

• 8. Re: Assistance required for installing tabmon
                        Russell Christopher

If you're TabMon 1.0, that stuff will still be broken. You'll want TabMon 1.1.

Based on where you are running TabMon (on the Tableau Server or remotely), you may also need to open ports in the Windows firewall to allow a "remote" TabMon to connect to these ports on the Tableau Server.