1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 12:32 PM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Need help creating calculated fields - newbie at these, I'm guessing they aren't actually that hard

Tanner LaFond

Hello all,

I need help creating some calculated fields in Tableau.

I've created a simplified version of what I'm working with in Excel, and made a Tableau workbook with it.

Basically, I have two things I need to do:

1. Compare revenue actuals across quarters in Fiscal Year 2016 to the revenue plan in Fiscal Year 2016.  This should be as simple as, for any given quarter: Variance = Revenue Actuals - Plan.  I just don't know how to create a calculated field for this.  I have examples of how it should work in the Excel file.  I've also attached a picture of how it should be in Tableau.

Tableau Help - Variance.jpg

2. Calculate growth rates across quarters of Fiscal Year 2016 to Fiscal Year 2015.  This would just be looking at the revenue actuals, not the plan figures.  I need to calculate the growth from Q1 of FY15 to Q1 of FY16, Q2 of FY15 to Q2 of FY16, etc.  Formula should be Growth Rate = (Amount for Qn of FY16 - Amount for Qn of FY15) / (Amount for Qn of FY15).  Again, just don't know how to create a calculated field for this.  I have examples of how it should work in the Excel file.  I've also attached a picture of how it should be in Tableau.

Tableau Help - Growth Rate.jpg

In my actual data set, I have significantly more data and dimensions (things like region, sub segment, etc.).  These formulas would need to be able to filter by those, the same way as my revenue does.  I assume that's not an issue to do that, I would guess it works like that without any extra effort.

If there's anything I neglected to mention, please let me know.  I've attached the Excel file, the Tableau workbook, and some pictures of what I want to see in Tableau.

Thank you in advance for the help - I'm quite lost on this, and want to learn more so I can improve my Tableau skills.

Tanner

• 1. Re: Need help creating calculated fields - newbie at these, I'm guessing they aren't actually that hard
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Tanner LaFond,

Attached is a Tableau 9.3 (sorry - I couldn't quickly determine the version you are working with but an upgrade to 9.3 should be free) version of the .twbx showing both of these questions/answers.

The first one is easy to accomplish by utilizing a few calculated fields.

Plan: If [Scenario]="Plan" then [Amount] End

Revenue Actuals: If [Scenario]="Revenue Actuals" then [Amount] End

Variance: sum([Plan])-sum([Revenue Actuals])

Then utilize Measure Values and Measure Names in the view rather than the individual field names.  See the first sheet for the example of this.

Second one - the difference by quarter over year.

The first thing to do is to create the desired output in a crosstab view.  It's just easier to work with for Table Calculations.

Create a quick table calculation from Sum(Amount) - with "Percent Difference" -  This is an option available from the drop down menu of the field Sum(Amount).

Next up.  The calculation will need to be edited in the Table Calculation editor - select "Edit Table Calculation"  - then select "Advanced" for the Calculate the difference along:

Move Year of Date and  Quarter of Date to "Addressing"  and defined 'At the [year of date]" - since we are using both fields to figure out the "Previous" but the Level that defines Previous is "Year of Date".

This will provide a view with the correct percent differences.

For the line chart on Sheet 4, duplicate the chart you just created.  Remove the Sum(Amount) field that is not a Table Calculation.

Hold the CTRL key down and drag Sum(Amount) - the table calc one - to the Rows shelf so it is now on both the Rows shelf and the Label.

Change the chart type to a line.

I hope this helps.

Patrick