8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 9:43 AM by Toby Erkson

"Only one server can be used with a trial license..."

Taku Kato

Greetings all.

I am currently having trouble upgrading my Tableau Server (9.1.3) to version 9.3.0.

During the installation process,

I accidentally registered for the trial license instead of activating the product key which I was using on the 9.1.3.

I canceled the installation process completely before the configuration process began and uninstalled 9.3.0.

During the re-installation process,

This time, after activating Tableau via the product key and pressing "OK" on the configuration screen,

the following error message prevents me from going any further in the installation:

"Only one server can be used with a trail license. Remove all other machines before continuing."

I've tried uninstalling 9.3.0 and reinstalling it again.

I am currently working with 2 workers servers so I reinstalled 9.3.0 to each of them and tried again.

On all occasions the message showed up, even though I activated the license. It won't seem to shake off the trail license.

Please let me know if there is a solution. And also as to why the trail license sticks.

• 1. Re: "Only one server can be used with a trial license..."
          Rohan Malusare

Hi Taku Kato,

Please check below link for more details.

Upgrading Tableau Server | Tableau Software

Thanks and regards,

Rohan Malusare.

• 2. Re: "Only one server can be used with a trial license..."
            Paul Moran

Hi Takuya,

It may be necessary to remove the trial activation from the Tableau Server host machine using the following steps:

1. If Tableau Desktop is already installed on the Tableau Server machine, open a command prompt and navigate to C:\program files\Tableau\Tableau {version}\bin

If Tableau Desktop is not installed on the Tableau Server machine download the Customer Activation Utility. Then open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where custactutil.exe is installed.

2. In a command window run the following command:

custactutil.exe -view

The Server Trial will report a number such as:

LOCAL_TRIAL_FID_##

3. Delete the trial by issuing the following command:

custactutil -delete LOCAL_TRIAL_FID_###

4. Restart the Tableau Server.

Paul

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: "Only one server can be used with a trial license..."
              Taku Kato

Hi Rohan,

Thank you for the reply!

Although it did not directly solve my issue, it was something I should have read before I started the installation.

So I thank you for that insight.

Kind Regards,

Takuya

• 4. Re: "Only one server can be used with a trial license..."
                Taku Kato

Hi Paul,

Thank you for replying.

This solution was exactly what I was looking for!

Deactivating the trial license made it able for me to activate the product key.

Many thanks for looking into this issue.

Kind Regards,

Takuya

• 5. Re: "Only one server can be used with a trial license..."
                  Toby Erkson

Paul,

The "custactutil.exe" doesn't exist in version 10.3.  What is the equivalent now that the KB article points to the Tableau Server documentation?

I want to remove the Trial...

...but I can't figure out how with what the documentation shows:

start/wait tabinstallck.exe -return <product_key>

For the <product_key> I tried trial, Trial, "trial", and "Trial", all to no avail

• 6. Re: "Only one server can be used with a trial license..."
                    Paul Moran

Hi Toby,

Often, a Desktop trial is downloaded and installed to get the custacutil tool since Tableau Server trials are often written to Tableau Desktop trusted storage and thus the custactutil -view can be used to investigate if the Server trial is actually written here. However, in most cases serveractutil.exe should be able to remove the trial since the trial key for Tableau Server is designed to be written to The Tableau Server trusted storage. Please try these steps to remove the trial:

1. Stop Tableau Server if not already stopped.
                    2. Open serveractutil.exe from the bin folder where Tableau Server is currently installed.
                    3. Run the following command: serveractutil -view
                    4. Make note of the fulfillment ids for the trial Server key. See the screenshot in the http://kb.tableau.com/articles/knowledgebase/activation-utility article for help locating the FID.
                    5. Delete the fulfillment that represents the original TRIAL key to be removed, type: serveractutil.exe -delete [fulfillment id]
                    6. Verify the fullfillment ID has been deleted with the following command: serveractutil.exe -view 
                    7. Select Refresh on the Manage Product Keys window.
                    8. Start Tableau Server

If the steps above don't work please let me know and we can try something else.

Paul

• 7. Re: "Only one server can be used with a trial license..."
                      Toby Erkson

Paul Moran wrote:

4. Make note of the fulfillment ids for the trial Server key. See the screenshot in the http://kb.tableau.com/articles/knowledgebase/activation-utility article for help locating the FID.

There is no screen shot on that page.

After step 3, compare the "ActivationID=" value from the output with the "Product Key" value from the Manage Product Keys utility.  The ActivationID that does not have a match is the trial license.  Get the "FulfillmentID" from that entry:

Now execute step 5.

Okay, I did all of the above and it doesn't work.  Server is stopped.  After deleting the FID and issuing the serveractutil.exe -view command the trial does not display so it appears that the command worked, however, after refreshing the Manage Product Keys window the Trial does NOT disappear and shows up again, with a different FID, after issuing the serveractutil.exe -view command

• 8. Re: "Only one server can be used with a trial license..."
                        Toby Erkson

I tried using the command

start/wait tabinstallck.exe -return <ActivationID>

for the trial version (inserting the trial ActivationID value) but that ended up removing one of my existing product licenses instead! And yes I verified the license key multiple times to make sure it was definitely the trial key!  So I had to re-activate the product license that was removed

The trial is still there.  It's not hurting anything from what I can tell so I guess I can just let it expire on its own.