2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2017 1:39 PM by James Liddiard

Embed a Document of Notes in Tableau

JoAnna Tingey

I am trying to embed a document into a workbook.  I have tried several different approaches with a couple different file types (pdf,word,htm)

A.  File hosted on internal sharepoint page  

B.  File located on an internal network share

I can get the document to display fine in Tableau desktop, but when I publish to the server the document fails to render or is being blocked.  Any ideas how to get passed these errors and allow Tableau Server to have the same behavior as Desktop?

It is difficult to provide an example since, I think, a key feature is that the file needs to be hosted on an internal network, here are a few ways to reproduce it.

A.  File hosted on internal sharepoint page

1.  retrieve the URL from sharepoint that points directly to the document

2.  In dashboard view, double click on 'WebPage' option

3.  Paste the URL and click 'OK'

Outcome:  The document will render in Tableau desktop, but when I publish and go to this dashboard I am prompted for credentials and no matter what credentials I put in the popup continues to come up and no document shows in the dashboard.  We did create a Tableau user to sharepoint, but Tableau is unable to put in it's own credentials automatically.  This seems to be a permission issue.

B. File located on internal network share

b1:  htm file

1.  retrieve the direct path that points directly to the document  (ie  //NetworkShare/folder/folder/file%20-%20name.htm)

3.  Paste the URL to the file (file:networkpath from step1) and click 'OK'

Outcome:  The htm will render in the dashboard on Tableau desktop, but when I publish and go to this dashboard nothing renders and I am NOT prompted for credentials.  We placed the document in a folder we know Tableau Server has permissions to because there are excel documents in that same directory that are used for data sources on Tableau Server. 

Following these same steps for a public website (Wikipedia page for Tableau) it will display fine on Tableau Server.  This seems to be a permission issue.

b2:  Other file (.doc,docx,.pdf)

1.  retrieve the direct path that points directly to the document  (ie  //NetworkShare/folder/folder/file%20-%20name.docx)

3.  Paste the URL to the file (file:networkpath from step1) and click 'OK'

Outcome:  The word doc will NOT render in the dashboard on Tableau desktop but it will open the document in Microsoft Word.  Nothing happens or is viewable on Tableau Server when it is published.

We tried the URL on the server itself and the path looks like it works fine. 

We submitted a ticket with Tableau and they told us "the native capabilities around displaying documents inside a dashboard is not a feature currently available in Tableau"

This doesn't make sense if it works in desktop.

The tech did suggest to create an action:  URL Actions

When I followed these instructions from the handbook, it will open the document fine in desktop, but when we publish it to Tableau Server and try to open the document I get the following error. 

I cannot not find any help around unblocking unsafe URL's on Tableau Server.

I hope someone else has tried this and gotten it to work.