3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 10:12 AM by Yuriy Fal

Help developing a Viz with standard scores that are range-based and change with age cohort

Jason Alexandre

I am working with data from a product called Teaching Strategies Gold.  It has standards scores that are normed by age cohort (i.e. Birth-1 year; 1-2 years; 2-3 years; Pre-school; Pre-K) and expected functioning (Widely Held Expectations) falls within a range of scores by dimension.  For example in the social-emotional dimension, for the birth-1 year cohort, the expected scores are 272-387; for 1-2 years the scores are 387-394; for 2-3 years they are 4585-546 and so on.  We test our students three times per year.  That said, because a child's age cohort may change between assessment intervals, I'm at a loss as to how to display changes in scores over time.  I had the thought of creating a calculated field for each so that different age cohorts could be compared across the dimension (see below), but I'm not exactly sure if this is the correct path and if so, what a Viz would look like.  I've attached some sample data in Excel to better illustrate.  I'm basically looking to see if children improve over time.  Thanks in advance for the thoughts and suggestions.

IF [Age Class Grade 1]="Birth-1 Year" AND [Social-Emotional 1] <272 THEN "Does Not Meet WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="Birth-1 Year" AND [Social-Emotional 1] >=272 AND [Social-Emotional 1] <=387 THEN "Meets WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="Birth-1 Year" AND [Social-Emotional 1] > 387 THEN "Exceeds WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="1-2 Years" AND [Social-Emotional 1] <387 THEN "Does Not Meet WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="1-2 Years" AND [Social-Emotional 1] >=378 AND [Social-Emotional 1] <=494 THEN "Meets WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="1-2 Years" AND [Social-Emotional 1] > 494 THEN "Exceeds WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="2-3 Years" AND [Social-Emotional 1] <458 THEN "Does Not Meet WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="2-3 Years" AND [Social-Emotional 1] >=458 AND [Social-Emotional 1] <=546 THEN "Meets WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="2-3 Years" AND [Social-Emotional 1] > 546 THEN "Exceeds WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="Preschool 3" AND [Social-Emotional 1] <516 THEN "Does Not Meet WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="Preschool 3" AND [Social-Emotional 1] >=516 AND [Social-Emotional 1] <=614 THEN "Meets WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="Preschool 3" AND [Social-Emotional 1] > 614 THEN "Exceeds WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="Pre-K 4" AND [Social-Emotional 1] <589 THEN "Does Not Meet WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="Pre-K 4" AND [Social-Emotional 1] >=589 AND [Social-Emotional 1] <=690 THEN "Meets WHE"

ELSEIF [Age Class Grade 1]="Pre-K 4" AND [Social-Emotional 1] > 690 THEN "Exceeds WHE"

END