6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 6:34 AM by Freddy Setiawan

SSAS Cube datasource and external users connection

Francesco Dall'Asta

Hi all,

Despite I read a lot on SSAS cube and Tableau extract differences and way they operate, I am still a bit confused.

We have a SSAS cube created in the same environement where Tableau Server is installed. I built some dashboard from a Tableau desktop installed in the same environment and we published both the workbooks AND  the datasource as a live Cube datasource.

Now I need the Tableau desktop users to connect to this datasource to produce other dashboard based on the cube datasource from other machines. How can I achieve that?

Do I have to configure a SSAS user for every Tableau Desktop user that will use this datasource?

If I try to connect to the datasource from other machines' Tableau Desktop, I am not able to use the data (I see a small red esclamation mark close to the datasource icon in the desktop environment) and I see the error attached.

It is not clear to me how can I allow the desktop users to use the cube as a datasource for their dashboard production.

Can you guys help me clarify the thing?

Thanks a lot

Francesco

• 1. Re: SSAS Cube datasource and external users connection
          Bill Lyons

If I understand this situation correctly, in this configuration Tableau Server needs to have appropriate permission to the SSAS cube, not the Tableau Desktop users. There are other possibilities and Troubleshoot Data Sources may be of help with those.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SSAS Cube datasource and external users connection
            Freddy Setiawan

am I right that you are trying to "publish data source" that is based on SSAS.

Then you want your other users using Tableau Desktop connect to it as LIVE connection and build a dashboards on top of it?

My Understanding, you can't achieve that on SSAS based connection.

You can't use the Tableau Server to be a "proxy" to your data source.

When you publish Cube based data source, the user with Tableau Desktop need to download/Create Copy.

In fact when your tried to connect to Tableau Desktop -> Connect to Data -> Tableau Server

It will prompt you to download the connections details.

This also means that your Tableau Desktop user need:

1. Account to logon to SSAS

2. SSAS drivers

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: SSAS Cube datasource and external users connection
              Francesco Dall'Asta

Hi Freddy,

Thanks a lot for your answer. It is useful.

Following your response the Desktop users CAN use the cube datasource but only through a local copy they have to create on their own PC.

Indeed, when they connect to the datasource through Tableau Server, they will be directed to download the connection details, as you properly stated.

I am really new to SSAS cubes then, even if I know they are not proper Tableau-related questions, my questions are:

• What does it mean to install SSAS drivers on their computers? What does it implies?
              • How can I create an account to logon to SSAS for each of them? Should I create them through Visual Studio - SSAS or through SSMS as a login to the cube database?
              • Is it really so complicated to allow my users to actually use the datasource we created?

Thanks a lot,

Francesco

• 4. Re: SSAS Cube datasource and external users connection
                Freddy Setiawan
                • What does it mean to install SSAS drivers on their computers? What does it implies?

> That would mean you need to find respective SSAS version and install the drivers (here) to each and every computers.

That also means you would need an administrator account to install (well, depends on your environment)

Beyond that, nothing really special

• How can I create an account to logon to SSAS for each of them? Should I create them through Visual Studio - SSAS or through SSMS as a login to the cube database?

> SSAS leverage on Windows Account, so instead of creating their account one-by-one. I usually prefer to create a Windows AD Group, then assigned all the users that need access to cube to that group. Then I would create a SSAS Roles and tag to it.

Hence I don't need to maintain each and every individual account

• Is it really so complicated to allow my users to actually use the datasource we created?

> Not really, it depends on the context. There are certainly benefit of using cube (e.g. transparent aggregation, security, etc.) but in-term of using it in dashboard, it depends on how complex your dashboard/analytics needed. One main issue that I found with cube + Tableau is MDX Skill

• 5. Re: SSAS Cube datasource and external users connection
                  Dmitry Chirkov

At the moment Tableau Server does not have an option to impersonate AD users when connecting to SSAS cubes.

Your only option is to use "Server Run As account" option when publishing datasource and grant access to the cube to the user that Tableau Server runs under. It can be configured here:

-Dmitry

• 6. Re: SSAS Cube datasource and external users connection
                    Freddy Setiawan

Another way you could do is to enable "Kerberos". (KB) but that provided your environment are set for it.

This will allow upon publishing an option to select "Viewer Credentials".