5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2017 7:12 AM by suvas.chandra

Income Statement final help.

Michael Franz

Hello,

I am trying to create an income statement. In the raw data each line will have Account Category, Account Sub-Category and also Account Detail

"Account Category" = Revenue or Expense

"Account Sub-Category" = next level in like Payroll, Benefits, etc....

"Account Detail" = next level in line Commission Expense, Employees, Insurance, etc..

Here is the issue.... I some "account detail" (depreciation, interest, and amortization [field is Description]) to be in 2 places and I an not sure how to do it. My understanding is that it can not be done in grouping,

I do have access to manipulate the format/categories coming in. The design is in Alteryx.

I need another Account Category after Net Income called EBITDA. I tried this by: Calc field - Account Sub-Category for EBITDA

IF [Account Category] = 'REVENUES' THEN 'REVENUES'

ELSEIF [Account Category] = 'EXPENSES' THEN 'EXPENSES'

ELSE 'EBITDA'

END

I need another Account Sub-Category after Net Income called EBITDA. I tried this by: Calc field - Account Sub-Category for EBITDA

IF [Account Category Group for EBITDA] = 'REVENUES' THEN [Account Sub-Category]

ELSEIF [Account Category Group for EBITDA] = 'EXPENSES' THEN [Account Sub-Category]

ELSE 'EBITDA'

END

But it all goes no where when I start putting it together. I've been frustrated to the point to create another sheet with EBITDA and make it look like 1 sheet on the dashboard.

CURRENT STATUS (see below)

• 1. Re: Income Statement final help.
          Shawn Wallwork

I've been a Tableau user for 5+ years.

I've been a Top Forum contributor for 4+ years.

I've been a Tableau Zen Master for 2 years.

I've been a Tableau Ambassador from the beginning of the program.

I've attempted to create income statements & balance sheets using Tableau many, many times.

I have never successfully produced financial statements that were acceptable to my clients.

The reason?

Tableau is NOT a cell based program (like Excel) so totalling different sections of a text table is extremely difficult.

Suggestion: Use Excel to do Excel-type work; use Tableau to do Data Visualization work.

--Shawn

"Don't use a hammer to drive a screw."

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Income Statement final help.
            Jonathan Drummey

The hammer/screw metaphor is great, I was going to go with square peg & round hole.

Let me second what Shawn said (and my Tableau resume looks a lot like his, I think we started on the forums within a couple of months of each other):

Since you're using Alteryx you can pre-process the h*** out of your data and give Tableau a data source it can easily display that (depending on the complexity of your statement) might just end up with with one record  per line in the end statement that defines the categories, the order of placement, and even the values, but even then after all that effort you're not going to get the precise control over borders, spacing, partially indented headers, pagination, and suchlike that you can get in Excel or another traditional tabular reporting tool.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Income Statement final help.
              Shawn Wallwork

Jonathan wrote:

Let me second what Shawn said -- and my Tableau resume looks a lot like his, I think we started on the forums within a couple of months of each other...

While Jonathan & I share some Tableau resume points, he is politely not mentioning that he's been a Tableau Zen Master from the start of the program! What six or seven rocks? (I really don't remember.)

Always listen to what Jonathan says; he'll never steer you wrong.

Listen to me when you're grasping at straws; you might find an acceptable answer.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Income Statement final help.
                suvas.chandra

Shawn,

Can you please share balance sheet / income statement / cash flow statement ? I understand it was not accepted by your client. Would you please share the best one so far ? I want to give a try and show it to my client.

Appreciate your help.

• 5. Re: Income Statement final help.
                  suvas.chandra

How do I get a copy of this ? Not sure whether the file is corrupted:

Tableau Public