4 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 1:03 PM by Blake Holman

Changing Overlapping Dashboard Filters using Sets

Blake Holman

On my dashboard, I have several filters built from sets. I'm working with bibliographic data, so my sets concern "Typeface," "Language" etc.

So I'm working with something like:

And

However, the filters really have all values, both languages and typefaces, plus values for binding, paper, etc. The sets enable the filters to view only the relevant values (e.g. the Typeface filter shows only the Typeface set). For each filter, the non-relevant values, although invisible, are selected. The filters overlap. As it is, unchecking "English" in the language filter leaves it still invisibly checked on in the typeface filter, so unchecking "English" in the language filter effectively does nothing. In other words, it's as if the filters are joined like "Conditions in Language Filter are met" OR "Conditions in the typeface filter are met" --> then show values. But I want the filters to be joined like  "Conditions in Language Filter are met" AND "Conditions in the typeface filter are met" --> then show values. Please let me know if there's any solution here!

• 1. Re: Changing Overlapping Dashboard Filters using Sets
          Manideep Bhattacharyya

Hello Blake - Let me simplify the problem, but still keep the essence of the complexity. The problem statement is the following:

Two sets on the same dimension (Field Name here : Pivot Field Name) has been created for two different type of condition. Now you want to show the common member of the set to the end user. Try to create a combined set by doing a Ctrl+Select the two sets.

This should solve your problem.

Thanks,

Manidep

• 2. Re: Changing Overlapping Dashboard Filters using Sets
            Blake Holman

Thanks Manideep,
            This would allow me to make a single filter that has all the values for languages and typefaces, but I'm going for two separate filters. Unfortunately, this won't work, but thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Changing Overlapping Dashboard Filters using Sets
              Blake Holman

It's been a while, but I'd like to re-post and return to this problem. Manideep's suggestion is getting at my goal, but I want users to be able to do this on the fly, using the dashboard.

Here's another way of looking at this issue: the filters constructed using sets work just fine when filtering the members in the set. For example, here is a Languages Filter with only "Ancient Greek" applied to members in the Languages set:

You can see there are only two titles in Ancient Greek. I have the tool-tip set so you can see the title of the book, "The Illiad." All the titles are in the Dimension "Click to find @ UW"

When I try to apply the same filter using "Click to find @ UW" in the rows, I get a good alternative view result. 

The trouble is that I want these filters to work together. When the Language filter above, with only "Ancient Greek" selected, is set to apply to another sheet, Books, the other filters (e.g. typeface) seem to be filling in all values. You can see I'm returning a lot more than just two books.

It may be that I'm misunderstanding the issue! But it seems like the overlapping filters are the source of my problem.

Please let me know if you have an insight on how to get these filters working together!

Gratefully,
              Blake

• 4. Re: Changing Overlapping Dashboard Filters using Sets
                Blake Holman

Here's one more screenshot to illustrate my issue. Here the filter is applied to another sheet, Books.