5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 7:32 PM by Jonathan Drummey

Top 15 Ideas not being lighten up!

Alain Molimard

Hi, Anyone know why there is such a disconnect between Ideas and implementation? I have looks at the top 15 Ideas of all time and they have been siting there for 4 years! 4 years! What is the point of having an idea board if they don't get implementation? Maybe I should create an Idea to implement the Top 15 Ideas and we can all vote for that. Wait, that might only give us 14! :-)

Cheers

Alain

• 1. Re: Top 15 Ideas not being lighten up!
          Patrick  Van Der Hyde

Hello Alain,

this post is a bit old and I see no one replied but your question is a good one so I thought I should address it.  Ideas are evaluated frequently and this process is a focal point for us to continue to improve on.  You will see that in windows 10, many older ideas were incorporated into the product.  Thank you for your patience but please note that your votes and contributions to Ideas are read and help a great deal with product direction/future. 

Thank you

Patrick

• 2. Re: Top 15 Ideas not being lighten up!
            Alain Molimard

Thank you for your comment! Just for fun, I went back the the list of Ideas, and the top Idea (Multi value parameters) was submitted 4 years ago. Since then, 9 version of Tableau were released. I don't know what is the process that goes on within Tableau to select what feature gets implemented or not, but I would assume that the one that is suggested buy the Community (the people paying for the licence!), and that is the most voted on, should of been implemented.

Again, the Idea most wanted by the community is still not implemented after 4 years and 9 releases! Ideas are greats, but if they don't get into the product, people will stop submitting and voting.

My two cents.

Alain

• 3. Re: Top 15 Ideas not being lighten up!
              Patrick  Van Der Hyde

Alain - please see this post from last year.  Dynamic Parameters Update  

Dynamic Parameters means a lot of different things to different people.  One of the issues with free form idea submissions for product enhancements is that one person's apple is another person's orange, so to speak.  The request is for a fruit but the details are where things get challenging.  I hope that thread listed above and this blog post - Dynamic Parameters: The Results Are In | Tableau Software are helpful and provide some insight to the way your vote counts and is being heard.

Patrick

• 4. Re: Top 15 Ideas not being lighten up!
                Alain Molimard

Hum! Interesting! When my kids ask for a fruit, I ask them what fruit they want. It's a very simple process and next thing you know, the kid is eating the fruit at the table and enjoying it! My point was not about a specific idea although I referred to the "Multi-value parameter" but rather the elapsed time it takes for a top idea to get implemented. It might be the Top Ideas Worksheet that is misleading me, because it seam like not all Ideas are represented there. But still, I think if anyone doing Tableau Workbook look at the Top Ideas listed they would all go "Yes, I need that (what is being described); Why isn't it already in the product! But I guess some other feature have the priority, like "A Viz in a Viz" ;-)

Cheers

Alain

• 5. Re: Top 15 Ideas not being lighten up!
                  Jonathan Drummey

Just to be clear, the top 15 list is showing the top 15 active ideas, not the top 15 ideas of all time.

Also the top 15 list is the top 15 right now and Tableau’s user population has grown tremendously so there have been ideas that were implemented in past releases that were in the top few at that time, for example a couple of years ago the #2 idea was Tableau for Mac, as of now that is #10 on the all time list.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful