5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 12:25 AM by Ashish Chaudhari

Average and aggregate

Boreak Silk

Hello All,

I am very new to Tableau and have a very simple question - how to calculate averages and then aggregate the averages by day, time, location and business type? I have a list of businesses with location (Area_ID), business type (BusinessType_ID), opening day (Day) and time (Time), find attached data and screenshot of the data below. I want to know, let say, how many businesses are open between Friday 5pm and Saturday 3am in Area 4143 and business type 2. I thought of the following steps:

1. calculate averages which will be 1 for those businesses that are open during the above period

2. add them all up to get the total number of businesses.

I'm I on the right track? How do I do it in Tableau so that I can get correct results whenever I change day, time, location and/or business type?

Attached is sample data. The 'Data' field contains only value of 1 representing the business is open.

Thank in advance for any assistance.

Regards

Bo

• 1. Re: Average and aggregate
          Rishabh Dhingra

Hi Boreak,

I have a quick question on the data:

The 'Data' measure value is greater than 1 in many cases, example:- For area code 4143, Business Type Id - 6, Day - Monday, the data value is 7, 8 , 9 etc. Could you help me in understanding this measure? What does it signify?

Thanks,

Rishabh

• 2. Re: Average and aggregate
            Boreak Silk

Hi Rishabh,

Thanks for your prompt response. I double checked and the max and min value of

the ‘Data’ column is 1. I am not sure if I’ve missed something.

Only the ‘Time’ column has values from 1 to 24.

Kind regards

Boreak

• 3. Re: Average and aggregate
              Rishabh Dhingra

Hi Boreak,

Please find below the snapshot. Let me know if I am missing something:

Businesses.JPG

• 4. Re: Average and aggregate
                Boreak Silk

Hi Rishabh,

Those numbers are sums of values in data column for the Area_ID = 4143, BusinessType_ID = 6 Day = Monday.

In other words (eg. for the first row of your screenshot), there are 7 businesses open at 0000-0100 on Monday

in Area_ID 4143 and they all are in BusinessType_ID 6.

Hope this explains.

Kind regards

Boreak

• 5. Re: Average and aggregate
                  Ashish Chaudhari

Hi Boreak,

Please follow the steps, to calculate the averages by any dimension

Create the chart the way you do, then for "Data", change the aggregation to average.

If you require averages by multiple dimensions then add all those dimension to the rows and change the aggregation to average (refer to the above image) .

Since you maximum and minimum are 1, you will get result of average as 1.

PS - To learn more about aggregation, please refer to the below mentioned link

Aggregating Data

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish Chaudhari