3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 11:36 AM by Steve Burger

Emailing the Tableau dashboard PDFs in Tableau Online

Krishna G

Hi,

I am looking for ward to understand how to schedule a dashboard in Tableau Online to send email the dashboard in PDF daily to set of emails or one email?

Please suggest.

Best Regards

Krishna G

• 1. Re: Emailing the Tableau dashboard PDFs in Tableau Online
          Steve Burger

Good Afternoon Krishna,

Currently, there is no facility in Tableau to burst or proactively email. Only for users to subscribe.

That said, what you want to accomplish is fairly straight-forward.  Here are three high-level overview steps:

1. Script the creation of the PDF using the tabcmd command line tool.
                 Since you don't have a locally installed version of Tableau server, you can download tabcmd for free here: Install tabcmd
                 Overview of the commands used in tabcmd: tabcmd Commands

2. Make that script a windows batch file (*.bat) and set up an automated process using a tool such as windows scheduler.

3. Leverage a 3rd party tool, such as feebooti mail to automate the distribution of the emails containing the PDF.

This is by no means the only way to accomplish this, there are many other tools you might use successfully.  But this general process should be the steps to success.

Feel free to respond with questions, or please mark this answer as correct if this is helpful for you.

Best Regards,

Steve Burger

Tableau Online Deployment Adviser

• 2. Re: Emailing the Tableau dashboard PDFs in Tableau Online
            Krishna G

Thank you Steve. I am not aware of that tabcmd can be used for Tableau online as well. Thank you for this approach. I will try this out.

Best Regards

Krishna

• 3. Re: Emailing the Tableau dashboard PDFs in Tableau Online
              Steve Burger

You are welcome Krishna!

If you found my response helpful, please 'like' the response and select the 'yes' option to the "This Helped Me" question at the bottom of the response.

Many thanks!

Steve