3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 10:09 AM by Christopher Steinmetz

Filled Map with Points

Krishna Thirumalasetty

Hey Guys - I have a database of 146Million Lat,lon information, that I need to plot on a map. Obviously, the shire volume of points is too much for any map. So I figured out a way to do a Filled Map using my data. Now, when i zoom into, say Los Angeles, I want to be able to remove the Filled Layer and show the actual points.

Does Tableau have a way to do this?

• 1. Re: Filled Map with Points
          Mahfooj Khan

You can add/remove the map layers from the map menu bar. See the snapshot

Let me know if you've any query.

Mahfooj

• 2. Re: Filled Map with Points
            Krishna Thirumalasetty

Mahfooj - I know how to add a MAP LAYER. Thanks for the screenshot.

My question is, I want to display a US COUNTY LAYER to begin with. When I zoom in, I want to remove the county layer and show the underlying POINTS. The idea is, to avoid having to load all the 146 Million lat,lon at once but rather only for the city that i am zoomed into.

• 3. Re: Filled Map with Points
              Christopher Steinmetz

Hey Krishna,

SInce you're hoping to change mark types, maybe you want to try building two visualizations with navigation between them. This way you can allow someone to drill down to the county level on your polygon view, then once a county is selected it takes them to the second view with the individual points plotted out. You can build the navigation using a selected action so that it won't seem like the user is actually switching between dashboards. This article shows how to build that action about halfway down, if you're not already familiar.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Jimmy

InterWorks