6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 10:30 PM by Ashish Chaudhari

Tableau Design Recommendation

James Wong

Hi all, just for learning purposes, what is the best tableau design that able to fit both desktop and mobile?

I had read some white paper article mention rewrite it in simpler form. Example as below:

5 Best Practices for Mobile Business Intelligence | Tableau Software

It will takes time to rewrite or recreate a simpler version as well as maintaining it if there is changes or modification. If you guys idea or article to share, please do share over here.

Thanks and have a nice day.

• 1. Re: Tableau Design Recommendation
          Rohan Malusare

Hi James,

You need to design dashboard as per the mobile device or as per lowest resolution which you can able to see on higher resolution like desktop so there will be no need to rewrite or recreate design if there is changes or modification.

Regards,

Rohan Malusare.

• 2. Re: Tableau Design Recommendation
            James Wong

Hi Rohan, do you mean the resolution is the dashboard size?

Example: If I design for mobile, I set the size as below to fit into my mobile, and if I publish the same size to Tableau Online, it looks small. I still need to change the dashboard size and perform some alignment again.

Capture.PNG

• 3. Re: Tableau Design Recommendation
              Rohan Malusare

Hi James,

You need to set the size as per mobile device to eliminate the rewrite or recreate design.

Regards,

Rohan Malusare.

• 4. Re: Tableau Design Recommendation
                Ashish Chaudhari

Hi James,

If you N number of devices each of which having a different resolution, then you need to create a dashboard using a resolution which is the least in all the devices.

Example

A) 1000X800

B) 800X600

C) 600X400

D) 350X600

you can go for the option D (in case of mobile, since the mobile has the less width and height is more), but remember if you use the same dashboard on the other device the which has higher resolution then you need to create the separate dashboard for those devices. (eg. Facebook for mobile and Facebook for desktop are the two different websites altogether which are connecting the same database.)

For larger device you can use the option A), B) and C).

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish Chaudhari

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Tableau Design Recommendation
                  James Wong

Thank you for sharing your ideas. So I think at this moment for mobile + desktop, I can't avoid to create 2 different dashboard as there is no "One size fit all" yet. Cheers and have a nice day.

• 6. Re: Tableau Design Recommendation
                    Ashish Chaudhari

Hi James,

Yes, that the sad truth that there is no escape from creating two dashboards in above scenarios.

Thanks for appreciating. Keep posting your queries on the forum I will be happy to guide you all the time possible.

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish Chaudhari