3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2016 10:56 PM by Ashish Chaudhari

Current Month vs Previous Month Data in Measures

Prashant Bagalore

Hi,

It will be a very great help if some one sort this out for me.

Have trouble to show data of specific month say (Current Month) and Compare it with Previous Month,

#Conditions Apply: required this in Measures

I have attached the .twbx package which will give clear idea of the requirement.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Current Month vs Previous Month Data in Measures
          Carl Slifer

Howdy Prashant,

I've attached your workbook with 2 separate solutions. One of them uses a single dimension and then you use the measure Joined Employees to make it work plus a filter. On the second one I created a measure for each month and you can use it as you see fit.

Cheers!

Carl Slifer

InterWorks

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Current Month vs Previous Month Data in Measures
            Prashant Bagalore

Thanks a ton Carl,

Yes this is what I previously thought so,

however sometimes it so happens that we don't have sufficient data and instead of taking today function we have to consider last date as max(Joining Month) which is not working out.

For Example: if Month(Today) is April 16 and we have data till February 16, in such case it is difficult to make calculation for the Previous Month and Current Month.

Again it will be of very great help if someone be able to solve this for me, without considering today() Function

Ashish Chaudhari please need your help on this ??

• 3. Re: Current Month vs Previous Month Data in Measures
              Ashish Chaudhari

Hi Prashant,

You don't need to use the function today since data is not updated at regular intervals. There will always be case you will be in apr or may and you will be having n-1 or n-2 or n-3 data.

Thus I would recommend you to create a parameter which will decide the month. Parameter should be of date type and input the months till the month you are having data. (since there is no point in adding month name for which you don;t have the data.)

Once the person selects the Last month in the parameter you need to fetch the values using dateadd (fuction (-1)) which will give you the required metric data for the previous month.

I hope this helps.

I will try to create the same in the twbx that you have attached in this thread.

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish Chaudhari