9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2018 11:03 AM by Manikanta pothuri

Worker failed to connect to Primary on clustering

Bhupendra Singh

We are installing Tableau 9.3 in a High Availability and Failover configuration. We have 4 servers - PRIMARY, WORKER1, WORKER2 and BACKUP-PRIMARY

We successfully installed 64-bit server software on PRIMARY server. Server comes up successfully with AD authentication credentials, was able to add couple of more users with System Admin roles.

Next we installed worker software on WORKER1 server. Added WORKER1 to PRIMARY.  But it threw the following error

ErrorWhileStartingPRIMARY_afterAddingWorker1_cleared.PNG

and the server will not allow logging in using the same service account used before. It throws 'Sign in Failed' message

localhost_error_PRIMARY.PNG

Please advice if these are known issues with version 9.3

Thanks

Bhupendra

• 1. Re: Worker failed to connect to Primary on clustering
          Jeff Strauss

It really all depends on what procedures you followed for adding workers into the cluster.  Install and Configure Worker Nodes

Did you stop the primary before installing the workers?  Did you properly enter the primary hostname when installing the workers?  Do you have the appropriate licenses?  What does your service configuration look like?  We have a similar deployment to yours (1 primary, 3 workers, 1 failover) and we find that it's often best to put together a step by step plan to give the greatest probability of success.

• 2. Re: Worker failed to connect to Primary on clustering
            Bhupendra Singh

Thanks Jeffery for your response. We followed the Tableau 9.3 admin guide step by step. Something that's mentioned on Tableau website too -

Configure for Failover and Multiple Gateways

And to answer your questions -

Did you stop the primary before installing the workers? 

YES

Did you properly enter the primary hostname when installing the workers? 

YES

Do you have the appropriate licenses? 

THIS IS ONE AREA I AM SUSPECTING THE ISSUE MAY LIE.  We have a separate ticket with Tableau to confirm the license key. The fact it allowed me to add the Worker Node on the Primary's Configuration tab tells me that it may be the correct license key, but at the same time, the fact that it shows 2 licenses keys (instead of the just the one that was added) makes me wonder if it is a correct license key. Our license key is not based on cores, but on named user licenses.

What does your service configuration look like?

IT LOOKS LIKE THIS -

PRIMARY_WORKER1 Config.PNG

Additional information -

When we remove Worker1 from the Configuration, we are able to log on to Primary server, but by localhost as well as servername link.

The error message on Starting Tableau server means that Worker1 is unable to connect to Primary's Repository.

We will wait for Tableau to confirm license key information and then proceed. Unless, someone can point out what we are doing incorrectly for this 9.3 version install.

Thanks,

Bhupendra

• 3. Re: Worker failed to connect to Primary on clustering
              Jeff Strauss

it doesn't seem like a license key problem, but support should be able to confirm.  Rather it seems like a trust issue of the primary repository being able to trust requests from the worker.  Is it running on port 8060?  I'm not sure what would cause the trust issue.

• 4. Re: Worker failed to connect to Primary on clustering
                John Kuo

I'd check firewall and proxy settings. Something is probably blocking communications between nodes in the cluster.

Thanks,

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Worker failed to connect to Primary on clustering
                  Bhupendra Singh

Thanks John for your response.

Our Windows Admin has confirmed that there is no firewall between PRIMARY and WORKER1 servers, except Windows firewall which is allowing Tableau to communicate on all ports.

• 6. Re: Worker failed to connect to Primary on clustering
                    Bhupendra Singh

In the end, it was firewall issue. Primary server's 8060 port was blocked by windows firewall. Windows Admins seemed to have overlooked it while checking.

Once we turned off the firewall, server was accessible with clustered Worker1 and Worker2.

Now, security team have to keep this port (8060) open for all nodes running the repository, and then we will enable Windows Firewall again.

Thanks for all your replies. Appreciated.

-Bhupendra

• 7. Re: Worker failed to connect to Primary on clustering
                      Manikanta pothuri

Hi Bupendra,

Some one please help me out with few answers, as soon as possible. (I have seen Tableau installation guide but i didn't find answer for this )

As per the Tableau suggestion we are planning to install 5 node   high availability, they have suggested to install 3 worker nodes  and 2 gate ways : 1 primary gate way and if primary gate way fails then route the requests to the secondary (Backup )gate way which route the requests workloads to the tableau workers.

System config:

Gate ways: 4 core 32 GB Ram 50 GB hard disk

Workers: 8 core 64 GB Ram 50 Gb Hard disk

License 24 Core

I’m confused about what are the set up file I need to install on each node, as per my knowledge I have to install Primary on Primary Gate way, Worker set up on 3 workers and what are the set up files I need to install on 2nd gate way ?

I have seen all the Tableau server installation guides to configure high availability. But end up with these questions, what exactly tableau suggestedarchitecture works.

• Do I need to install primary Tableau server set up on both gate ways then how to configure for Backup primary failover what is the process in that case? (if we are not going to add backup primary gate way in to cluster how gate way server is going to communicate with the workers after primary)

Or

• Do I need to install worker set up files on backup primary Gateway machine do I need to add backup primary Gate way node in to configuration window? (where we add all the worker nodes) and run the Failover commands; if we are not going to add backup primary gate way in to cluster how gate way server is going to communicate with the workers after primary fails.
                      • 8. Re: Worker failed to connect to Primary on clustering
                        John Kuo

1) Install/configure Tableau Server (NOT worker) on the primary and back up primary

2) No need to install worker files on the backup primary. Check this out Create a Backup Primary .

John

• 9. Re: Worker failed to connect to Primary on clustering
                          Manikanta pothuri

Thank you So much John for Quick response