12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 1:04 PM by Jeremy Brown

Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?

Jeremy Brown

I'm not seeing this anywhere, so I'm hoping that this is a minor issue that others have experienced and know the solution to.

I recently upgraded from Server 9.1 to 9.3. Most of the workbooks were upgraded with no issue whatsoever. However, a few - especially when they have custom SQL - seem to have forgotten how to connect to our database. From Server's perspective, the Server Name, port, username and passwords all are right, but Server refuses to connect saying that it "Could not connect to [DB] server". When the workbook is opened with Desktop, there's no change needed. After touching each of the data sources to verify connection settings and republishing, Server will connect to the DB with no further issues.

I'd rather not have to republish all of these workbooks nor would I like to have to sift through the workbooks to find how many are affected.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do to fix the issue? I'm hoping this isn't environment specific, so I'm asking here first.

We're using HP Vertica for our DB and have a dedicated blade for Server.

• 1. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
          David Mannering

We had the same issue here with upgrading our test server from 9.2 to 9.3.  Some, but not all, of our workbooks developed the same symptoms you describe and republishing them was the only way we found to fix them.  Interestingly, if we downloaded the workbook from the test server and then republished it, the problem persisted.  We either had to download the workbook from our production server (also on 9.3) or use the original workbook to fix the problem.

Sorry I have no solution, but at least you know it's not just your environment.  (We had workbooks refreshing from Oracle and/or Excel that failed.)

• 2. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
            Joaquin Luna

Hi Jeremy,

I'd like to see if I can reproduce this issue. I'll install a fresh copy of 9.1 and upgrade it to 9.3. In the meantime can you tell when this error message pops up? Are the credentials embedded with the workbooks?

- Thanks

Joaquin Luna

• 3. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
              Jeremy Brown

The only error I get is "Could not connect to server". The credentials were embedded properly and there appeared to be no other action take with the workbooks except to republish.

• 4. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
                Vitalii Ganzha

Hi Jeremy, thank you for your reply!

Quick question: where do you see that error? In browser? Could you please post a screenshot of the error?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
                  Jeremy Brown

I can also see this error in the Background Tasks for Extracts report. As it stands, having my publishers republish is being used on a case-by-case, as-needed basis.

• 6. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
                    Joaquin Luna

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for posting the screen shot, that was helpful. I was able to get the same error message on the Edit Connection dialog after an update, but I want to be sure I am seeing the same thing you are.

When you open a worksheet on the server that uses that data source does it show any errors? Do you see any errors other than when you test the connection and when extracts are created in the background?

When I opt-ed to change the password on Edit Connection dialog on the server I was able to successfully test the connection.  Does that also happen on your end?

Thanks for your help. I've logged the details of this error and forwarded this to our dev team. If I find an easier solution to get your data sources running I'll let you know.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
                      Jeremy Brown

Great question! Yes, I too could change the connection info, but no, I would continue to receive the same error. The workbook itself functioned fine with the previously collected data. Some workbooks would fail outright when trying to refresh. At least one workbook I found would apparently refresh, but when I test the connection it would fail as the screenshot shows.

• 8. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
                        Jeremy Brown

I'm beginning to wonder if the datasources could have lost a piece of information needed in the connection. For example, the connection information in the screenshot above shows DB location (IP address in my case), Port number, and user credentials, but it's missing the database's name. In my environment, Vertica, if I don't have the db name, but everything else, I can't connect.

How might we be able to verify this theory?

• 9. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
                          Joaquin Luna

That is a good theory, and it is testable. If you can download the data source connection from your 9.1 server and your 9.3 server we can compare the files. They are zipped XML. You can send them to my email if you would like, or you could open them up and see if any fields are missing.

• 10. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
                            Jeremy Brown

I have archived versions of all my publisher's workbooks so this was an easy comparison to make.

The XML of each version of a sample workbook with this error shows no discernible differences. Line by line and character for character are the same (save for Server version information). Am I looking in the wrong place?

ie:

<datasource caption='xxxxxx' inline='true' name='vertica.42123.497270960645' version='9.3'>

<connection class='vertica' dbname='arena' odbc-connect-string-extras='' odbc-native-protocol='yes' one-time-sql='' port='8007' schema='xxxxxxxx' server='xx.xxx.xx.xx' server-oauth='' username='jeremy' workgroup-auth-mode='prompt'>

vs.

<datasource caption='xxxxxx' inline='true' name='vertica.42123.497270960645' version='9.1'>

<connection class='vertica' dbname='arena' odbc-connect-string-extras='' odbc-native-protocol='yes' one-time-sql='' port='8007' schema='xxxxxxxx' server='xx.xxx.xx.xx' server-oauth='' username='jeremy' workgroup-auth-mode='prompt'>

• 11. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
                              Joaquin Luna

I guess that was not the smoking gun we were looking for.  The other place to look is in the log files. Find the most recent file matching this path:

C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Logs\vizqlserver*

Search for the text "DataSourceException".  If you find any matches there should be some information that will narrow this down.

Thanks for your help!

• 12. Re: Server 9.3 Forgot Data Source Connections from 9.1?
                                Jeremy Brown

To be honest, I'm not sure if what I'm seeing here is what I'm looking for, but I have this line:

Line 2359: {"ts":"2016-04-10T10:03:09.512","pid":17252,"tid":"1948","sev":"warn","req":"-","sess":"6609BEDCC3A348DD83FDC5AE28CB1637-0:0","site":"","user":"","k":"msg","v":"throw DataSourceException (type=UnableToConnect): Tableau Data Engine Error: 40460: SimpleDatabase::SelectMetadataName: expected found=1, actual found=0 (fk=1 name=\"$TableauMetadata\" nameTable=\"TABLES\")\nThe table \"[Extract].[$TableauMetadata]\" does not exist.\nUnable to connect to the server \"localhost\". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.\n"}

While this looks like the error in question, I'm having a hard time identifying which workbook this is for. I have 18 of these, but only one workbook failed with this error.