6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 2:32 PM by Jaysin Anderson

Title Variable Shows "Null" Instead of the Correct Value

Jaysin Anderson

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can see where i'm going wrong.  I have a dashboard that links to a second dashboard via an Action Filter.  I have a bar chart  that shows the names of our team members and by each name is a bar showing the combined value of their projects completed to date.  The action filter is set up so that when you click on an individual persons name it goes to the second dashboard which breaks down this information by the individual projects for the person selected. I did this by setting the action filter based on that one specific field (<Username>).  In the second (detail) dashboard I have the title of the sheet set up so that it says "Projects by: <Username>".  It should show the individuals name that was selected in the first dashboard (Projects by: John Smith), but instead it says "Projects by: Null".  I'm 99% sure that this worked correctly when I first set it up, but I've done a lot of work on this workbook since then and I'm not sure if I messed something up along the way.

Anyone have ideas of what might be going wrong?  Unfortunately due to the nature of the data I can't share a workbook, but I've included screenshots below. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Title Variable Shows "Null" Instead of the Correct Value
          Sharad Joshi

Hi Jaysin

I have done something very similar in one of my dashboards, but I have selected All fields instead of Selected Fields ( in the first screen shot ) .

Give that a shot, it should work.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Title Variable Shows "Null" Instead of the Correct Value
            Manideep Bhattacharyya

Dear Mr. Anderson - Please check in all these dashboard, if any Action Filter has been added automatically or not. Remove all these action and recreate the same steps again. These things sometimes help.

Manideep

• 4. Re: Title Variable Shows "Null" Instead of the Correct Value
              Jaysin Anderson

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice so far.  It sounds like the consensus is to change the filter to 'All Fields' rather than choosing to have the Action Filter run on just 'Username'.  The reason I had to select the filter to run just on Username is because there are a lot of additional filters and labels in the originating chart and if I run the Action Filter on all fields it filters out everything on the second chart.  It seems to be tied to including measure related values as quickfilters or labels in the first chart, but the solution I was able to figure out was to change the action filter to just run on Username. 

Any other ideas, or (perhaps even better) any idea how to make it so that the action filter running on all fields doesn't simply filter out the entire target chart?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

• 5. Re: Title Variable Shows "Null" Instead of the Correct Value
                Jaysin Anderson

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice so far.  It sounds like the consensus is to change the filter to 'All Fields' rather than choosing to have the Action Filter run on just 'Username'.  The reason I had to select the filter to run just on Username is because there are a lot of additional filters and labels in the originating chart and if I run the Action Filter on all fields it filters out everything on the second chart.  It seems to be tied to including measure related values as quickfilters or labels in the first chart, but the solution I was able to figure out was to change the action filter to just run on Username.

Any other ideas, or (perhaps even better) any idea how to make it so that the action filter running on all fields doesn't simply filter out the entire target chart?

• 6. Re: Title Variable Shows "Null" Instead of the Correct Value
                  Jaysin Anderson

Hi Everyone,