3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 12:55 PM by Ivan Young

Action Filter, Multiple Data Sources

Gregg Hirshberg

I have a dashboard with two data sources, the secondary data set provides me with some data I've used to create groups. But the Action Filter won't filter, while the actual filter will. I read that I should try a parameter, but my understanding is that would only work if the field is in both data sets. Which isn't the case here. Unfortunately, my company won't allow me to share dashboards online to get help.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Action Filter, Multiple Data Sources
          Andrew Connolly

It sounds like you're using the secondary data source to create groups and then you want to be able to filter by those groups?

Take at look at this example of creating a primary group from a secondary data source.

If that's not what you're going for, you'll need to describe your scenario further..

• 2. Re: Action Filter, Multiple Data Sources
            Gregg Hirshberg

Andrew,

Thanks, that seems like the right fix, but I'm having a new issue. The group is probably mislabeled, since I didn't create it by grouping, but instead through a formula:

IF [Age of Store (YRs)] <=1.1 THEN '0 - 1 Year'

ELSEIF [Age of Store (YRs)] <=5.5 THEN '1 - 5 Years'

ELSEIF [Age of Store (YRs)] <=10.5 THEN '6 - 10 Years'

ELSEIF [Age of Store (YRs)] >10.5 THEN '10+ Years'

END

I tried deleting it, and creating the group, but then the group turns grey and I am unable to drop it into the Columns shelf. I also tried doing as the link said, and creating the primary group, but that isn't working right, as it only shows one of the groups created through my calculation. Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help.

• 3. Re: Action Filter, Multiple Data Sources
              Ivan Young

Hi Gregg,

I do not think your formula is producing distinct groups.  You need additional criteria to make the groups distinct.  I think you need something like below.

Good luck,

Ivan

IF [Age of Store (YRs)] <=1.1 THEN '0 - 1 Year'

ELSEIF [Age of Store (YRs)] >1.1  AND  [Age of Store (YRs)] <=5.5THEN '1 - 5 Years'

ELSEIF  [Age of Store (YRs)] >5.5  AND [Age of Store (YRs)] <=10.5 THEN '6 - 10 Years'

ELSEIF [Age of Store (YRs)] >10.5 THEN '10+ Years'

END