8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2016 5:48 PM by Randy Adhitama Setiadi

How to filter different data source using quick filter or dynamic parameter

Randy Adhitama Setiadi

Hi all,

I want to ask about filtering across different data source.

Problem:

Above is the example from my dummy data. I have 2 sheet, "Sheet A" and "Sheet B". I need to filter both of them using "Company name" dimension. But because they came from different data source then I thought to use parameter at the first time. But, the weakness of parameter is we cannot show the list of dimension that available to certain "City", for short parameter cannot be dynamic as we use "Only relevant values" in quick filters. Because my data source contain thousand of Company Name, i think it will be strange if we show the client thousand of option, also parameter doesn't have "search" function as quick filters does.

Any idea how it would be better?

Expected result:

I want to show list of company only for the choosen city, but the filters affected both of sheets.

Thanks

Randy

• 1. Re: How to filter different data source using quick filter or dynamic parameter
          Simon Runc

hi Randy,

So first you are going to have to download (at least) Tableau 9.2 to see my solution (you may as well download 9.3)...I have (to help on the community) 8.2, 9.0, 9.2, & 9.3 (no 9.1!)

So the other way, as you have pointed out, to do cross-datasource filtering (until the release of the cross-datasource quick filters...it's been announced but no time-scale given) is to use Actions. In the attached I've set up 2 sheets, which act a my filters (with some clever formatting you can get them to look vefry much like filters (also using CTRL+ lets you select multiple valued, which you can't for a parameter).

So first I set up my City Selector Sheet

then my Company Selector Sheet

and bring these both into my dashboard (I've also removed your quick filters as we will now use these).

I then set up an Action to filter the company (in the 'company-selector' sheet), from the 'city-selector' sheet as follows

So when someone clicks on a City, the list of Companies (in the Company-Selector sheet) is filtered to just those in the selected City.

I can then set up and action from my Company-Selector Sheet, to send the Company to the 2 main sheets. Remembering that I need to send the company twice.

Hope that all makes sense, but please let me know if not.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to filter different data source using quick filter or dynamic parameter
            Randy Adhitama Setiadi

Hi Simon,

thank you for your reply Simon. The action filters is quite good for the solution. But another thing that i need is search function.

As you know quick filter has function to filters dimension even using "search" tab. Because my data will contain hundred - thousand of data, maybe it will better if we have that "search" function.

How can we build search function without using quick filter?

Thanks

Randy

• 3. Re: How to filter different data source using quick filter or dynamic parameter
              Simon Runc

Glad it helped. So to create a 'filter' for either City or Company selector sheets, you will need to use a quick filter...however if you set it to 'wildcard'

Then it looks like this (and you can place it above the selector list(s))

This does a text (contains) search on what is typed in...so in my image this would bring me back all products containing the word scone. In your example the user could filter in company name (say), and your selector would now only contain the list of companies that contained the search string...they then click on the one they want to filter the viz.

If you need it to filter lists across datasources, you can set it up as a parameter...create a parameter as follows (notice I've set allowable values to 'All')

then create a calculated field in both data-sources like the below

and bring that field in as a filter and set to true (using that datasources version of the calculated field, for each sheet)...you may (for your version) also want a IF (LEN([Parameter])) = 0 THEN True ELSE Contains(....) END, so it shows all if parameter is blank. You'll also notice I've wrapped both in an UPPER to avoid case-problems.

Apologies for all the Scone-related examples!!! I just happen to be working on a range review tool which have many of these features!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to filter different data source using quick filter or dynamic parameter
                Rody Zakovich

Great stuff Simon.

Just wanted to add to this thread, and let you know, the Tableau 10.0 Beta is going to be released soon (At least that is what the email suggested). There was a survey, in which one of the features mentioned in "What do you plan to test", was cross-datasource filtering.

Hopefully, this means cross datasource filtering will be a part of the 10.0 Release, which (I expect) will be released within the coming months (depending on how development and beta testing goes).

I don't work for Tableau, but based on what I have seen so far, it looks very promising that we will have this at least sometime this year.

Regards,

Rody

• 5. Re: How to filter different data source using quick filter or dynamic parameter
                  Simon Runc

Thanks Rody...there were some pretty juicy things in the 'what will you test section'!!

• 6. Re: How to filter different data source using quick filter or dynamic parameter
                    Randy Adhitama Setiadi

Hi Simon,

Thank you for guidance. It's quite helpful. Actually this is good, but I'm thinking can we make the search parameter show the list of company name if we type something?

Example : if I type 'a' in the search parameter then parameter will also list down the company name that contains 'a' and we can click it

Is it possible? I'm thinking it will be very difficult.

Anyway thanks for your help Simon, also Rody thanks for your information, now I cannot wait to see tableau 10.0 :d

Thanks

Randy

• 7. Re: How to filter different data source using quick filter or dynamic parameter
                      Simon Runc

hi Randy,

Glad it was of help...that is a tough one!

Here's the best I can get to...it does what you want, but you have to hit return to bring up the list of companies....You won't get the full-effect if you click a City first, as there is only 1 Company per city...so into the seach box for Company type in, say, "co" had hit return, and will now bring back all 3!!

Not perfect, and I'll keep the grey cells on the case (although they usually let me down!!). I'm on the train with limited Wifi, so hopefully you can work out how I've done it. If not post back and I'll give a bit more detail when I'm back home.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How to filter different data source using quick filter or dynamic parameter
                        Randy Adhitama Setiadi

Hi Simon,

apologizes for late reply. That's quite interesting, thank you so much for yous support !!!

Thanks

Randy