3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 7:36 AM by Dan Sanchez

Threshold Color coding for rows with individual goals

Jonathon Padron

Hello Tableau World,

Please see attached for my sample workbook along with the snapshot of how I would like the final result to look like. I have 7 metrics that all have different threshold goals and want to maintain the format layout it is in already in Tableau but have the numbers color coded. Below is couple examples of the threshold goals I have:

Utilization:  79-81% = green font   77-78% and 82-83% = yellow font    all other numbers would = red font

NPS: 79-81% = green font   77-78% and 82-83% = yellow font    all other numbers would = red font

NPS ILT: 39-41% = green font   37-38% and 42-43% = yellow font    all other numbers would = red font

NPS VILT: 29-31% = green font   27-28% and 32-33% = yellow font    all other numbers would = red font

Any help please, I really need to figure this out. Thanks!

John

• 1. Re: Threshold Color coding for rows with individual goals
          Dan Sanchez

Hello Jonathon!

I've attached a revised copy of your workbook.  I used the steps outlined in this KB to apply the different color thresholds to each individual row:

http://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/conditionally-color-rows-in-crosstab

Hope this helps

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Threshold Color coding for rows with individual goals
            Jonathon Padron

Hello Dan,

Thank you so much! I just having problems showing the headers for each row. It's displaying as "number of records" instead of NPS, Utilization, etc....

also, do you know of a way to rotate the headers so they read across as oppose to up and down?

Is there a way to move the fiscal months from the bottom to the top?

Thanks again,

John

• 3. Re: Threshold Color coding for rows with individual goals
              Dan Sanchez

Hi John!

Sadly using this workaround forces us to only be able to have the labels vertical since it requires creating an axis (continuous field).  The way Tableau works is that we get a separate Marks card for each axis.  Having separate Marks cards allows us to apply different KPI formulas to each measure, but the one drawback is that we have to stick with vertical labels for the axis.

For the other questions though, we can accomplish this with some creative use of formatting and duplicate fields

To change the axis labels we just need to right-click on an axis and then select the Edit Axis option:

From here you can set the title to be whatever you like:

axis title.png

To move the fiscal month labels up to the top we'll need to first create a duplicate of Fiscal Month by right-clicking it in the data pane and selecting Duplicate:

duplicate fiscal month.png

Next, you'll need to drag the duplicate field onto Columns to the right of the first Fiscal Month field.  Then right-click the duplicate field and deselect the Show Header menu option.  Voila!  The labels are now at the top

labels to top.png

Thanks John!