2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2016 6:03 AM by Sabine Honer

1) Why charts a faded out on dashboard and 2) why didn't the Map filter go through to second dashboard?

Sabine Honer

Hi All,

I have a main dashboard with several charts on it and one map.

I use the map to filter data sets for a specific region.

When I click on one of the other charts placed on the main dashboard ( region is still selected) it will bring me to another dashboard.

Region is still selected and should display only the filtered data for that region. But it fails. I think the filter didn't get through.

I try to create another action by assigning the main sheet, but Tableau doesn't allow that ( can't save Action).

Additionally: all charts are faded out.

Any idea how I can resolve it:

a) How to apply region filter on main dashboard and on second dashboard, that I select?

b) How to display charts non faded?

Let me know, if you have any questions or comments to my question.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Sabine

• 1. Re: 1) Why charts a faded out on dashboard and 2) why didn't the Map filter go through to second dashboard?
          Simon Runc

hi Sabine,

It is difficult to be exact without seeing a workbook (if you are able to post a mock-up of your situation I can be more precise). However, there are some likely causes for this...

The most likely cause is that the dimension(s) you are sending, via the action aren't in the source sheet for the action (or for highlight actions aren't in the target)

So in below viz...in which I have a line chart (sales over time by Region), and a bar chart showing sales by sub-cat (stacked by Segment)

If I just use the 'Use As Filter' on the line viz, it sends ALL DIMENSIONS to the bar Chart, and so will include both the Region and the Date. However if we only wanted to send the Region (and not the time part), we can set the Action up ourselves and then control what is sent (in the below I'm only sending Region, and not the date part...and Region has to be in the 'source sheet')

With highlighting the 'sent dimension' needs to be in both sheets. If I tried to set up a highlight filter like the below image

It would try to highlight Region in the Bar, but can't find it (as we only have Sub-Cat and Segment) and the result is to gray out the whole view.

Sending dimensions actions between dashboards works in the same way, but you change the Target sheets to a different dashboard.

As I said hard to be exact, but I would first look at what dimensions are being sent and that the dimension is in the source sheet (for filters) and both (for highlights). If you can post a mock-up of your exact situation I'm happy to take a look.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 1) Why charts a faded out on dashboard and 2) why didn't the Map filter go through to second dashboard?
            Sabine Honer

Hi Simon,

thank you very much for your answer.

And I am really sorry to respond so late :-(

Issue is, that workbook is confidential and I tried to recreate a sample workbook, but it was really busy.

But your answer already helped me.

Thank you very much,

Sabine