7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 7:56 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Is panning no longer the default map tool?

Tad Sooter

In the last few weeks I've noticed that panning no longer seems to be the default mouse drag action for maps I upload to Tableau Public. The default appears to be rectangular select.

Is there a setting I can use to change this? I much prefer panning as the default.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Is panning no longer the default map tool?

Hi Tad Sooter,

Could you please try this article from our knowledge base to see if you can reset it to default, or turn off/on again?

You should be able to use a lasso select as well as other options than rectangular.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is panning no longer the default map tool?
            Thomas Exter

Tad, I noticed the same issue, although panning is the default when you first display a map in 9.3, after the first rectangle select it's not clear how to get back to panning. In 9.2 the behavior is our preferred; the function goes back to panning after a rectangle select. Hmm?? I may be missing something; wouldn't be the first time!

Best,

Tom

• 3. Re: Is panning no longer the default map tool?
              Thomas Exter

Tad, sometimes reading the "What's new" helps:

New default tool for maps

When you click and drag in a map view, you can now automatically select marks with the rectangular tool. This is a change in behavior to Tableau Desktop version 9.2, where clicking and dragging in a map view would automatically allow you to pan across the view instead.

View tools remain active

When you select a tool from the view toolbar (the pan tool, zoom area tool, radial tool, rectangular tool, or lasso tool), it remains active until you select to use another tool. The same is true if you use keyboard shortcuts to switch between tools. This is a change in behavior to Tableau Desktop version 9.2, where a tool would revert back to the default after one use.

The last tool you select will be saved with the workbook and available when you reopen it or publish it to the web.

AND...

Pan

To pan, do one of the following:

• Hold down Shift, and then drag across the view.
              • On the view toolbar, hover over the arrow, select the Pan tool , and then click and drag across the view.

Amazing, so hovering over "arrow" (the triangle where the rectangle tool is found, has a new "pan tool" icon.

Best,

Tom

• 4. Re: Is panning no longer the default map tool?
                Tad Sooter

Thanks Tom, I missed this article.

It's disappointing pan can't be set as the default mouse drag tool. I'm creating visualizations for a general audience and I think most people who interact with maps online (google maps etc.) are used to clicking and dragging to pan around. Sure, the pan tool is available by hovering over the arrow icon or holding shift, but I don't really think it's all that intuitive for the average user not familiar with Tableau.

My two cents.

Thank you for the help.

• 5. Re: Is panning no longer the default map tool?
                  rakesh thamagonda

hie....., i have also encountered the same issue, however i am able to resolve the issue with the below workaround/technique.

I think using Tableau Desktop editing the map to make PAN option is not possible, however the trick can be applied when the map is edited directly on server.  On server one can select PAN and then save the changes, so that next time, if the map is opened PAN is selected by default.

Happy to share!

Regards

Rakesh T

• 6. Re: Is panning no longer the default map tool?
                    cignior

Thank you Rakesh! You saved my day. Saving on the server side fixes the panning issue.

• 7. Re: Is panning no longer the default map tool?
                      Shawn Wallwork

In 10.0 desktop you can still click the bg map and hold for a second or so and the cursor will become the pan tool.

--Shawn