3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 5:10 PM by swaroop.gantela

Filter multiple fields and multiple values from a single filter

Leigh Fonseca

I have a data set with two zip code fields.  I need a single filter option that will allow me to select multiple values to filter from both fields.  Also, given the number of possible zip codes, I need it the entry to be like a "Wildcard Match" or "Multiple Values Custom List" that you would have on a Quick Filter.  Also there's a requirement to show only Relevant Values.

Sample Data:

SOURCE ZIP

DESTINATION ZIP

In the above, when I filter source zips, I want them to be filtered OUT of destination zips as well. So, if I filter (multiple values) 123 and 333 (together), the result should be:

SOURCE ZIP

DESTINATION ZIP

Strategies I've considered:

1. Parameter: too limiting because I can only select one value
      2. Do a lookup where the destination zip is contained in the list of source zips and filter based on a match.  This doesn't filter both fields.
      3. Data Blending: I created a Master Zip List as a secondary data source and then filtering using this de-duped zip list.  I have found that if I have any relationships between the data sources, I get NULL results.  If I bind data source 2 (master zip) to data source 1 (zip codes) selecting one of the two zip code fields it will only filter that field.

I've attached a sample workbook and would sincerely appreciate any thoughts or direction.  I thank you in advance, my Tableau Community.

Kindest regards,

Leigh