4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 7:29 AM by Ryan Eavey

Request for feedback on governance approach in regulated environment

Ryan Eavey

Hello,

I am putting together an approach for my organization to follow to apply various levels of governance for visualizations on our internal Tableau Server while still allowing the flexibility that comes with Tableau.  This is early development of the process so any input you have on the approach is appreciated.

First, some details on our Project structure on Tableau Server.  The project folders are assigned to content areas, and within each content area we have three folders:  "Development"; "Production - Unvalidated"; and "Production - Validated".  The "Development" folders are highly ungoverned and are intended to be an area where publishers can share their work with minimal restrictions.  The "Production - Unvalidated" folders are more controlled and are intended to be an area to share polished visualizations that are frequently used.  There are fewer publishers with rights to the "Production - Unvalidated" folders and they must execute a production release checklist prior to publication.  The "Production - Validated" folders are highly governed and are intended to be an area to share visualizations that have successfully completed validation testing and the production release checklist.

Next, some details on the Production Release Checklist.  This is a short checklist that guides the publishers though common pitfalls encountered when publishing workbooks.  Items include verifying unnecessary data is not included for publication, filters are shown only where needed, tooltips show helpful information, colors are consistently applied, titles are shown, instructions are provided, calculations are documented, intended use is documented, intended audience is documented, etc.  Anything that we want to ensure is consistent across the content area will be included in the checklist.  There may be several checklists, one for each content area, but we'll probably wait to see how the checklist develops before breaking one out for each content area.  The checklist is intended to be executed by someone other than the workbook author.

And finally, details on validation testing.  For workbooks that require formal validation testing our internal validation methodology will be applied.  This includes defining intended use and requirements, identifying areas of risk, documenting the workbook design details, and writing/executing test scripts to prove that the workbook fulfills the requirements and satisfies the intended use statement.

In summary, I'm trying to build a system and process that enables data discovery with rapid exploration and sharing of discoveries while at that same time providing the framework to maintain control of a validated state where deemed necessary.

I'd appreciate any feedback from the community on this approach, suggestions for improvement, or areas where you think "that just won't work".  Thank you in advance for your replies!

-Ryan

• 1. Re: Request for feedback on governance approach in regulated environment
          Mark Wu

Ryan, Good thought process. It is very important to build a process that will not only enables quick data discovery but also ensures scalability - The process is called governed discovery or governed self-service. What you mention is an great start point. It is an evolving process - means that your processes will evolve as you go. You may want to think about adding performance as part of the checklist. Not sure if you have data privacy concerns - if you do, you will need to include data governance as part of the checklist (ie no SSN, no employee's personnel address, etc can be in the workbooks). You can reference my governance slide @ Tableau Customer Advocacy Summit March 2016.  I plan to talk about it on 4/28 webinar, pls register if you have not done so yet. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Request for feedback on governance approach in regulated environment
            Justin D'Cruze

Ryan Eavey wrote:

First, some details on our Project structure on Tableau Server.  The project folders are assigned to content areas, and within each content area we have three folders:  "Development"; "Production - Unvalidated"; and "Production - Validated".  The "Development" folders are highly ungoverned and are intended to be an area where publishers can share their work with minimal restrictions.  The "Production - Unvalidated" folders are more controlled and are intended to be an area to share polished visualizations that are frequently used.  There are fewer publishers with rights to the "Production - Unvalidated" folders and they must execute a production release checklist prior to publication.  The "Production - Validated" folders are highly governed and are intended to be an area to share visualizations that have successfully completed validation testing and the production release checklist.

-Ryan

Just wanted to clarify this section - since the structure on Server is essentially flat (i.e. no concept of subfolders under Projects), were you looking to break up content areas via Projects, or via Sites?

Mark mentioned data security/privacy and that's a big one for us......depending on your organisation, definitely want to include that as part of your planning and guidelines.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Request for feedback on governance approach in regulated environment
              Ryan Eavey

Thanks for the feedback, Mark.  I'll study the presentation from the Customer Advocacy meeting and plan to attend the webinar on the 28th.

• 4. Re: Request for feedback on governance approach in regulated environment
                Ryan Eavey

Hi, Justin,

I'm planning to use Sites to break up the ownership and administration by functional group, then use the Projects flat structure to break up the content areas within each site.  Data security and privacy are an area of concern for us, we will be looking more into that area next.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Ryan