1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 3:59 AM by David Walker

DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone

Michael Jo

Dear Experts,

I have installed our Tableau Server Standalone on a VM, so now I have to create a DR site at another location. I have researched on forum and other sources but i still unable to clear how to do that correctly, Has anyone have experience in this issue can help me? I am trying to do 2 ways:

1. duplicate the VM to another and configuring backup site( failed)

2. Reinstall Tableau Server in another virtual machine and do Tabadmin ( do not know how to do)

Thank you so much.

• 1. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
          Mark Wu

In many cases, the simplest and most effective DR strategy is running nightly backups and having a

standby Windows machine (your method 2), ready in the recovery data center. Compared to traditional BI

tools, Tableau Server is quick to install, configure, and get running, and in most cases you may meet your

business objectives by installing a clean server on the stand-by machine and restoring from a backup, which takes hours only. So your method 2 is the way to go.

I have some questions for you. You mentioned that you had standalone Tableau server, means not HA. I will assume that you want to get to HA first before you think about DR since machine failure or process failure happens much more often than Data Center failure. DR is for data center failure. HA is for process or machine failure.

• 2. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
            Jeff Strauss

I am assuming you are running a single node cluster.  I think this should work...

1. Run node 1 as your active prod box.  Have a cname DNS that points here

2. Run node 2 as your passive DR box.  This can be active as Tableau licensing allows up to 2 instances in addition to your prod box

3. On a nightly basis, run a backup on node1, ship the tsbak to node2 and run a restore on node2

4. If a DR occurs, then repoint the cname to point at node2.  And then reverse the backup / restore process

• 3. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
              Gerardo Varela

Jeffrey,

You  just describe my setup minus one step, which I think is useful:

3a  Disable schedules from your DR box. 

Regards,

Gerardo

• 4. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                Jeff Strauss

good point, do you have a scripted way of disabling schedules?  I think what we used to do is set backgrounders to 0 during setup of the DR box.  But I think 9.2 has a rule that you must have at least one backgrounder.

• 5. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                  Gerardo Varela

I don't.  I played with the idea of updating the postgres tables but i'm not allowed to do anything that puts me out of tableau support (server side).  I use iMacros to do the clicks for me afterwards. It works but I have to  update the script/macro for each extract/subcription that's added (not fun but doable in my enviroment). Here is an idea to let us disable schedules with tabcmd. (this would ROCK!!!!)

Disable Schedules Using tabcmd (Restore Automation) 

If you have any other suggestions let me know.  If you do lets start a new thread I don't want to hijack this thread. Just send me a ping!

Regards,

Gerardo

• 6. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                    Michael Jo

Hi Mark,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you so much to hear that i reached the correct way. I have only 5 power users and around 20 interactor users, so i think we dont have license to have HA or Cluster with more than 1 node from Tableau and our policy requires DR for every system.
                    Also, i just work on Tableau Desktop and install & Configure Tableau Server depend on step by step guide from web, i am unable to find a document that guide me to install & configure Tableau Server DR, I really thank you if you can help me or recommend me a link or whatever that i can go with step by step to do

I am locking forward to hearing from you soon

Best regards,
                    Michael.

• 7. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                      Michael Jo

Hi Jeffrey,
                      Thank for your help, but i am new with Tableau Server and its very appreciate if you can help me to have a guideline document

Assuming i have two VM installed Tableau Server Standalone in both

VM1( assumed DC site- the system i am using to mange report system) - x.x.x.122

VM2 ( assumed DR site) - xxx.123

Could you help me to give some advices as how to configure VM2 become to DR and steps that i have to do ?

I am so sorry to ask you simple question but its really new with me to install & configure a DR site

Best regards,
                      Michael.

• 8. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                        Jeff Strauss

which part are you having trouble with?  I added / reworded.  What it describes is two active platforms (node1 and node2).  But only node1 is considered active prod.  You could use node2 as dev.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am assuming you are running a single node cluster.  I think this should work...

1. Install Tableau server on your DC site.  Do you have this part done already?

2. Install Tableau server on your DR site.

3. Run node 1 (DC) as your active prod box.  Have a cname DNS that points here.  The cname is the URL that your users will reference to get to TS.  It can be setup by your network team to point at your active box.

4. Run node 2 (DR) as your passive DR box.  This can stay active as Tableau licensing allows up to 2 instances in addition to your prod box

5. On a nightly basis (via windows task scheduler), run a tabadmin backup on node1 (DR), ship the tsbak to node2 (DC) via robocopy or xcopy or whatever you want and run a tabadmin restore on node2 (DR)

Database Maintenance

Robocopy "Robust File Copy" | Windows CMD | SS64.com

6. If a DR occurs, then have your network team repoint the cname to point at node2 (DR).  And then reverse the tabadmin backup / tabadmin restore process

7. Disable schedules (Gerardo) on the DR box.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                          David Walker

We are using the image sync capabilities of VMWare for DR.  As changes are made in prod, VMWare automatically syncs the disk images from Tableau prod in one location to Tableau DR in another location.  When needed, we instruct VMWare to failover to the DR instance.  A new VM is provisioned using the synced disk images and is up and running within 15 minutes max. 

Two caveats:  this requires a manual DNS change to supply the new IP for https://tableau.ourcompany.com.  Since Tableau stores IPs internally and not the server name, you must execute a tabadmin reconfigure to configure the DR instance with the new IP. I've tried to automate this, but have never been able to get through a reconfig without some manual intervention (a restart usually does the trick).

This works very smoothly and is appropriate for environments where you don't need IMMEDIATE failover.  Just don't assume that this can also suffice for backup - you still need to run regular backups and store them outside the Tableau environment.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                            Michael Jo

Thank Jeffey,
                            I am working on your advice and will let you know the result, hoping it will work well

Regards,

Michael

• 11. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                              Michael Jo

Hi Jeffrey,

I have installed tableau server on 2 VMs and configure a DNS name for both VM's IP address as tableau.mycompany.com URL from my Active Directory Server but the port 8000 is a trouble when i unable to redirect port 80(default) to 8000 for tableau in 2 VMs, so could you give me some advices for this issue?

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Michael

• 12. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                                Jeff Strauss

I think by default DNS points at port 80.  And if you configure it for SSL, then it points at port 443.  And I've been told by our windows engineers that there is no way within the DNS to change the cname to point somewhere else.

Some options:

1. I think you can specify the port as :8000 like tableau.mycompany.com:8000

2. What is currently using port 80?  Are you running other apps?  Change Tableau to use port 80.  Resolving Port 80 Conflicts

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                                  Michael Jo

Thank Jeffrey,

I used port 80 for both VMs and nearly completing this but i still hope to have another way to back up 2 or 3 time per day instead of daily as scheduler can do! Have you any solution for that ?

Regards,

Michael

• 14. Re: DR Site for Tableau Server Standalone
                                    Chuck Interrante

David:

Have you successfully tested your failover solution for DR? I was wondering how VMWare handles the Tableau Server license in "trusted storage." I would think that a sync would result in an "unlicensed server" instance in your DR location. I would love to know if you have got this working and for which version of Tableau Server.

Thanks very much.

1 2 Previous Next