9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2017 4:33 AM by shiva kandukuri

Dates: Financial Year and Calendar Year

Antonio Gariano

Hello all,

I would like to be able to set-up a Dashboard that has "Settlement Date" as the basis of displaying a range of summary info (i.e . Number of Property Sales, Number of Vacant properties etc..). The user wants the ability to select to have these activities displayed based on either "Financial Year" or "Calendar Year" and have the ability to drill down to the relevant quarters & month.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Dates: Financial Year and Calendar Year

Hello Antonio Gariano,

Could you please share a workbook (.twbx)? That would help us illustrate your query.

• 2. Re: Dates: Financial Year and Calendar Year
            Manideep Bhattacharyya

Hello - Let me tell you the secret of fastest way of getting your business solution.

In Tableau's world any analytical problem has to align to the great 'Super-store' data and a rough worksheet to be created and then whatever can't be achieved to be posted in the community.

Hope to see some twbx file and some screen shot related to this.

Thanks,

Manideep

• 3. Re: Dates: Financial Year and Calendar Year
              Antonio Gariano

Thanks for the tip…

Below is a screen shot wher I can set the Fiscal year Stat date.

I would like to allow the user to change the fiscal start date via a filter/paramater.

Is that possible?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Dates: Financial Year and Calendar Year
                Manideep Bhattacharyya

Hello - Date is always a sensitive field and in Tableau, Date can be used as a Dimension / Measure depending upon the use case.

You can allow user to change the Fiscal Year Start date, if you allow users permission to WebEdit. This option is available in Tableau Server --> Workbook --> Permission.

But let me caution you, this is a little risky thing to do, in case your users are not that matured enough to handle this tool.

Thanks,

Manideep

• 5. Re: Dates: Financial Year and Calendar Year
                  Antonio Gariano

Thank you for the advice. I will take that into consideration. We are at the early stages in development. We will be using Tableau as our enterprise reporting tool. Some of our users will be designated “super users” so this may be an option for them.

I have yet to try Tableau Server. We ate present using the desktop version to ascertain “user report requirements”. Essentially shifting users from – Give me a spreadsheet with a bunch of columns so I can work out what I want and use Pivot tables - … and by the way have no idea what the next person is doing with the data ...

It’s a bit of a journey but we have to start somewhere ..

Cheers

• 6. Re: Dates: Financial Year and Calendar Year
                    G Marc Turner

Normally with parameters you can switch between measures being displayed by having a calculated measure which shows different values depending on the selection made in the parameter, but that doesn't appear to work with dates. I tried it by duplicating [Order Date] and having one set to calendar year and the other fiscal year, but the parameter would not cause things to switch with dates.

Another approach, which is a work around so might not be the ideal solution, would be to have two sheets and use the parameter to switch between them on a dashboard. One sheet would have things order by Calendar Date and the second would be by fiscal year. You could then use the parameter to determine which sheet is visible on the dashboard. This is the approach I took with the sample I've attached. It does use a copy of the [Order Date] so one date field is set to use calendar year and the copy of it is set to use a fiscal year.

Here is a link with more information on using parameters to switch between worksheets on a dashboard

Creating a Sheet Selector for a Dashboard | Tableau Software

Hope this helps

-marc

(PS I didn't bother with matching the format between the two views, but that is something I would recommend doing in a final version.)

• 7. Re: Dates: Financial Year and Calendar Year
                      Antonio Gariano

Thank you Gee…

I was thinking of doing exactly that – separate sheets – as the simplest approach. The problem is that at an enterprise level it may involve a number of duplicated dashboards and require maintenance.

Perhaps I should raise it as a “future” improvement (i.e. the ability to allow users to dynamically set the beginning of fiscal year).

Working for a government Department we are often required to quickly report on Fiscal Year To Date but also on Calendar Year To date, let alone Elected Year to Date. This latter one is easier as it relies on a date range on when the particular party came into power. The joy of dates….

Cheers….

• 8. Re: Dates: Financial Year and Calendar Year
                        Tableau kumar

I would like to suggest as below,

Create 2 seperate sheets for Calendar, Financial reports accordingly then add the parameter to select the Sheet.

Let us come to how to create If you are getting the Data from Database as Calendar", we can create easily "Financial Calendar".

The following link reveals how to create INDIAN FISCAL calendar, you can follow that approach.

Creating Indian Fiscal Calendar

The following link reveals how to create "Dynamically select the Sheets on the Dashboard".

Sheet Selection

Best Regards

Tableau Kumar

• 9. Re: Dates: Financial Year and Calendar Year
                          shiva kandukuri

Iam also have the same requirement from user. Please let me know if there is any solution for this..