5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 9:12 AM by Kent Sloan

Need Help With Sorting

Katrina Roque

Hello,

I am attempting to sort by load time for specific items and would like the see how each item performs each day.  However, I can only get the sort to work across all days.  I want each item to be sorted by load time by day.  Below you see that "dog" is always at the top and that might always be the case that it loads the quickest, but if you look at the row titled "duck," you see that duck actually loads faster than tiger on both May 17th and May 20th.  Is there a way to sort these items so they are not forced to sort based off of the first day's set of data?  Below is an image of what my chart looks like so far:

• 1. Re: Need Help With Sorting
          Kent Sloan

Hi Katrina,

If you wanted to sort by the 20th instead of the 15th you can select the sort icon that will appear when you hover over the axis for that date. If you want to sort the items in order for each date you will need to create separate sheets for each day so duck could be row 20 in one sheet and row 21 in the other. Currently an item must be assigned to a single row all the way across to read correctly. Instead of creating a bunch of separate sheets I would show the users how to use the sort option at the bottom of the sheet. You could also use a calculation with a parameter to give the user a different interface to do the same thing through a drop down menu.

Thanks,

Kent

• 2. Re: Need Help With Sorting
            Katrina Roque

Hi Kent,

I appreciate the feedback and tips but unfortunately multiple worksheets wont work with what I'm trying to do.  Thanks for your help tho! =)

• 3. Re: Need Help With Sorting
              ailsa.zheng

1. you have to adjust your format so the date is in the Rows shelf before Dog.

2. you have to create a custom date to the exact date.

3. Select the new custom date dimension, click Item as well (CTRL+click selects both) and create a combined field. Now drag the combined field onto Rows before Items but after Date. You can then deselect Show Header so it doesn't appear in the view, but this is what you can sort.

Here's a link about it, it's called Nested Sorting

Nested Sorting | Tableau Software

• 4. Re: Need Help With Sorting
                Katrina Roque

Kent Sloan do you  mind showing me what you would do using a parameter?

• 5. Re: Need Help With Sorting
                  Kent Sloan

Hi Katrina,

Attached is an example with a parameter used to select the month to sort the values by. The picture below shows how the parameter was set up and the calculation that uses this parameter. The calculation only contains sales data for the month selected so to use this right click on sub-category then sort and use the Sales Sort calculation to sort descending.

Thanks,

Kent