4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2016 11:12 AM by David Brown

Move all instances of a map label at once?

David Brown

Hello all,

I've created a geographic dashboard that plots about 45 years of personal income data by Mass. county over time, with each year on it's own page shelf. Some of the county labels do not appear where I'd like them to, and to move them it seems all I can do is go into each shelf and drag and drop each label individually. In the attached packaged workbook you can see on the 2014 shelf I have already moved the labels for "Suffolk" and "Nantucket" but I'm hoping to avoid doing that 40+ more times.

Thanks!

David

• 1. Re: Move all instances of a map label at once?
          Shawn Wallwork

You didn't mention the version of the workbook (it's not 9.3), so I'm not posting the workbook. But here are the three calcs:

Mana

IF [Countycode] = 'mana' THEN '

' + '

' +

STR( [County] ) END

Masu

IF [Countycode] = 'Masu' THEN '                          ' + STR( [County] ) + '

' + '

' END

Others

IF [Countycode] <> 'Masu'

AND [Countycode] <> 'mana' THEN [County] END

Put all three on the Label shelf and you'll get this:

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Move all instances of a map label at once?
            David Brown

Sorry, it's 9.2.1. That's not exactly what I get, but with a few tweaks I should be able to get them all where I want them to be. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Move all instances of a map label at once?
              Shawn Wallwork

Yeah, it's a bit tweaky doing it this way, but it does beat placing them individually. I was a bit surprised at how the carriage returns work. I didn't think I would have to list each one separately. But Happy you worked it out.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Move all instances of a map label at once?
                David Brown

I guess I haven't. Each time I add a new calculated field to the map to control the placement of one specific label it moves all the others (generally up a bit). From the default locations I'd like to move "Middlesex" and "Suffolk" to the right, "Plymouth" to the left, and "Nantucket" down.

No matter what combination of calculated fields I use something ends up off. I had everything in place except I couldn't move "Plymouth" left, so I tried to move it down. I added one '+' at a time to the calculated field and it slowly inched down. And then adding one more '+' and "Dukes" just disappears.

And then there is the order of the fields when added to the Marks box. The labels of counties move around and/or disappear just by changing the order.

I'm going to leave it like this, as perfecting it is way too frustrating and requires much more effort than it should. Thanks again for getting me on the right track.