6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2018 7:32 AM by Toby Erkson

Tableau Backup Primary Server - License

chandana.athauda

Hi All,

Based on the Tableau EUL agreement, Tableau Server license allows up to three (3) activation of the same key. Based on my understanding i will be able to setup the environments as mentioned below:

• Assume that i have 50 Tableau Server Name User Licenses.
      • Based on the existing licenses, i will be able to setup:
        • PROD - 1 Tableau Primary Server, 2 Tableau Worker Servers
        • UAT (Ex. 1 Tableau Primary Server, 1 Tableau Worker Server)
        • DEV (Ex. 1 Tableau Primary Server, 1 Tableau Worker Server)
        • DR as non-production. The licensing states that only 1 instance of Production is allowed at any one time. I will keep DR instance off until fail over kicks in.

My Questions is: If i want to setup "Tableau Backup Primary Server", do i have to purchase another set of  50 Tableau Server Name User Licenses?

Please kindly advise.

• 1. Re: Tableau Backup Primary Server - License
          Mark Wu

No. You do not need another set of licenses. You can configure a Backup Primary, keep it tuned off and w/o connecting to the cluster. While the backup primary needs to be licensed during installation, it does not count as one of the three environments allowable under the Tableau EULA.

The licensing service only runs on the primary Tableau Server node. When a server process starts or restarts, the process checks with the licensing service to verify that the process is licensed. If the license is confirmed, the process is fully functional and able to respond to requests from other licensed Tableau Server processes and does not need to reconfirm the license until 72 hours have passed, or until the process restarts. If the process is not able to verify that it is licensed (if the primary node is unavailable, for example) it continues to check for a valid license but cannot function as a part of Tableau Server until it confirms the license.

If your primary node fails, and you have a backup primary configured, you can follow this set of steps to switch to your backup primary:

http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#distrib_ha_switch_primary.htm

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Backup Primary Server - License
            Russell Christopher

Chandana -

Any question about licensing should ultimately go to your Account Manager. Only (s)he will be generally qualified to comment (and keep you safe and legal!)

Mark is correct in that you don't need an additional license for the backup primary.

However, you have another problem: You currently have 4 environments, not 3: Prod,  UAT, DEV, DR. You are allowed to have a total of 3: One  production, the other two non-prod.

"Prod" is clearly your production environment, so you have 3 non-prod environments (UAT, DEV, DR) -- one too many.  Just because your DR system is "off" doesn't mean it doesn't "count" against your two non-prod environment limit. Tableau doesn't make a distinction between a system which is on or off. I'd combine the UAT and DEV system if I were you.

There has been some confusion on this in the past, so you may have been told or read something wrong in the forums.

Good luck!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tableau Backup Primary Server - License
              Raj d

Hi Russell,

In our organization we have three different environments DEV, UAT and PROD. We have 8 core license. Can we now install a worker node without buying any additional licenses or do worker node require additional license ?

• 4. Re: Tableau Backup Primary Server - License
                Russell Christopher

Raj -

All licensing questions should go to your account manager (s)he is the expert on stuff like this.

That said, you paid for 8 cores. Adding an additional worker means you'll be giving Tableau "more cores than you paid for". Tableau will recognize this and won't start.

Hope this helps!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Tableau Backup Primary Server - License
                  Sourabh Dasgupta

Hello

I was always under the impression that adding a backup primary node will always incur additional license cost (double of what we already have). Thanks for clarifying this.

So even if we have 3 environments/instances (prod, Dev & QA) already running, we can still go ahead and add a primary backup node to all of these instances without purchasing any new licenses (assuming the "license" is not based on #cores...). Am I right in understanding?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Tableau Backup Primary Server - License
                    Toby Erkson

All licensing questions should go to your account manager (s)he is the expert on stuff like this.