a^b^c

a^b

a^b^c^d

we need to separate data into separate strings -

a

b

c

d

Note - I can use Split but here Index is Not fixed. Sometimes I can have 5 '^' and sometimes 1 '^'.

• 1. Re: Splitting String into separate strings.
          swaroop.gantela

Niranjan,

The specified item was not found. has an excellent step-by-step

explanation on how to accomplish the split and pivot:

Converting columns to multiple rows

• 2. Re: Splitting String into separate strings.
            Suraj Shah

Hi ,

Try the Custom Split--> All option. See attached images.

1.PNG2.PNG

Suraj

• 3. Re: Splitting String into separate strings.
              niranjan.solase.0

Hey guyz,

Solutions you guyz provided is working Although I am looking something automated. Like in this solutions I have to manually create Splitted Data, Pivot fields and then analyze it.

Is there any solution where we can Automate all this ?

• 4. Re: Splitting String into separate strings.
                swaroop.gantela

Niranjan,

This may be closer to what you need:

using Custom SQL as described in kettan 's The Cross Join Collection  Section #4

• 5. Re: Splitting String into separate strings.
                  kettan

Thanks, Swaroop, for the reference to the The Cross Join Collection.  Appreciated!

News:

A CROSS JOIN with Tableau's join dialog  performs much better than Custom SQL.

The attached is a modification of your attachment that cross joins with Tableau's built-in join dialog.

Changes:

1)  dummy join keys are added (CrossJoinKey)

2)  formulas use Tableau syntax instead of SQL Jet (see 2a and 2b below)

3)  downgrade to 9.0 (because I don't have license to newer versions)

2a) Filter

[Pos] <= LEN([Column1]) AND MID('^' + [Column1], [Pos], 1) = '^'

2b) Value

MID([Column1], [Pos], FIND( [Column1] + '^', '^', [Pos]) - [Pos])

Attached Workbook Version:  9.0

• 6. Re: Splitting String into separate strings.
                    Ben Moss

If you wanted to use a series of calculated fields to complete the clean up then here is how you could do it...

Column 1

IF (LEN(REPLACE([String],"^",""))) = LEN([String])     (here I am testing to see if there are any '^' in our text string)

THEN [String]    (if there are not any '^' in our text string then just return the text string)

ELSE LEFT([String],FIND([String],"^",0)-1)     (if there are any '^' then we want to return the characters before the 1st occurrence of '^')

END

Now to find the 2nd part of the string...

Column 2

IF (LEN(REPLACE([String],"^",""))) = LEN([String])     (here I am testing to see if there are any '^' in our text string)

THEN NULL     (if there are not any '^' in our text string then return NULL - there are no values for the 2nd part of our string)

ELSEIF (LEN(REPLACE([String],"^",""))) = LEN([String])-1     (here I am testing if there is just one '^' in our text string)

THEN MID([String],FIND([String],"^")+1)     (IF THERE IS JUST ONE '^' then here I am finding the position of the 1st '^' and extracting all text to the right of this)

ELSE MID([String],FIND([String],"^")+1,FIND([String],"^",FIND([String],"^"))-1)     (where there is a 1st and 2nd '^' here I am extracting the text between the 1st occurence of '^' and the 2nd occurence of '^')

END

Now you just need to slightly modify the above formula for as many parts as you may have in the string...

e.g. Column 3

then NULL     (if there are not any '^' in our text string then return NULL - there are no values for the 2nd part of our string)

ELSEIF (LEN(REPLACE([String],"^",""))) = LEN([String])-1      (here I am testing to see if there are more than just one '^' in our text string)

THEN NULL     (if there are not more than one ^' in our text string then return NULL - there are no values for the 3rd part of our string)

ELSEIF (LEN(REPLACE([String],"^",""))) = LEN([String])-2     (here I am testing if there is just two '^' in our text string)

then MID([String],FIND([String],"^",FIND([String],"^")+1)+1)    

(IF THERE IS JUST TWO '^' then here I am finding the position of the 2nd '^' and extracting all text to the right of this)

ELSE MID([String],FIND([String],"^",FIND([String],"^")+1)+1,FIND([String],"^",FIND([String],"^",FIND([String],"^")))-1)   

(where there is a 2nd and 3rd '^' here I am extracting the text between the 2nd occurence of '^' and the 3rd occurence of '^')

END

Now you can continue to expand this statement to capture all 6 parts (5 possible ^'s) or more.

• 7. Re: Splitting String into separate strings.
                      swaroop.gantela

Johan,

Outstanding. Very clean.

Thank you for the update.

And for all you do for the Community.