4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 3:32 AM by Łukasz Majewski

What is wrong with Dates from Table Calculation and Action Filter?

Łukasz Majewski

Hi,

Some time ago I noticed a strange behavior of tableau when it comes to action filters in the following scenario:

The attached wb 9.2 contains this calculation:

and two sheets with WINDOW_DATE in columns

It seems that tableau allows to use this field in action filter but:

In the source field selection I am getting something like this:

whereas the target does not show the highlighted exact datetime field but datetruncs only - 12 duplicates each.

Nevertheless no combination works

and when trying to use the same datetrunc in both

the following errors comes up:

Can you explain this?

• 1. Re: What is wrong with Dates from Table Calculation and Action Filter?

Hi,

Could you please try the following suggestions to help resolve this error?

Check for invalid field references. Check your workbook for a field in the Data pane that has a red exclamation mark next to it.

When you connect to a new data source, and that data source does not have the same field name in the original workbook, the field becomes invalid and is marked with an exclamation mark.

If you see an exclamation mark, you must either modify the workbook so it does not rely on the missing data, or edit the underlying data source to include the missing data.

Check for nested equations. Check your workbook for custom calculations that contain other calculations that reference a secondary data source, or custom calculations that reference a calculation in the primary data source that references a secondary data source.

If these types of calculations are used in your workbook, modify the calculation so it does not use nested equations.

For an example of a nested equation and its resolution, see the attached workbook.

Verify that Desktop and Server drivers are the same. Verify that the drivers being used on the machine running Tableau Desktop are the same drivers that are being used on the machine running Tableau Server. Go to the Drivers page for a list of drivers that you can download.

Upgrade to the latest maintenance version. Upgrade Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server to the latest maintenance version. You can download the latest maintenance release from the Alternate Download Site.

Create a new connection. If the above suggestions do not resolve the issue, create a new connection to the same data source. To create a new connection to the same data source, follow the steps outlined in the Replacing a Data Source article.

• 2. Re: What is wrong with Dates from Table Calculation and Action Filter?
            Łukasz Majewski

Hi,

I appreciate you are trying to help but have you tried to replicate this error yourself? I do not believe any of the suggested steps are applicable although I will check if the same exists in v9.3 later today.

This error is thrown whenever you would try to target a table calculated field with an action filter. Seems like a bug to me...

Regards,

Łukasz

• 3. Re: What is wrong with Dates from Table Calculation and Action Filter?
              Łukasz Majewski

The same problem exists in Tableau 9.3

If this worked - i.e. table calculation based filtering via actions - many things would become possible

Here is an unsolved example: Running Average

• 4. Re: What is wrong with Dates from Table Calculation and Action Filter?
                Łukasz Majewski

No change in Tableau 10 beta in this respect.