9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 5:23 AM by Takaaki Koseki

Parameters in Dual Axis do not behave as expected

Daniel Heilig

Hi everyone,

I tried to solve this issue on my own but after hours and hours of try & error and looking up the internet, I still do not have a solution for my problem.

Please find attached my workbook.

Description:

I am using two parameters in a dual axis chart. Each parameter has the same set of 5 different KPIs.

I also created a market list parameter to select a market you want to look at.

When I now select a market, the selected market is only applied to the first KPI Sales in the first parameter KPI A, that's it. The KPI in the second parameter KPI B is not changing at all (as long as it is not also the the Sales KPI). When I change the KPI in the first parameter to Revenue or Reach and so on and then select a market, it will always show me the total numbers and not the specific ones for the market.

In the Market Dashboard, below the chart you will find an overview of each KPI. When I select a market in the market list parameter, all KPIs will change as expected. So here everythings runs as required.

I dont understand why the chart is not changing when another KPI like Sales is selected.

I would really appreciate your help and time, thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Parameters in Dual Axis do not behave as expected
          Takaaki Koseki

Hi.

Because KPIs excluding Sales is from a secondary data source,

and the field [Land] is not active link.

link.png

I don't know whether it is what you wanted or not,

but at least if you turn the field [Land] link active,

all KPIs will change when you change the KPI parameter.

Thanks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Parameters in Dual Axis do not behave as expected
            Daniel Heilig

Hi Takaaki Koseki

thank you so much, this definitely made my day!

I have (hopefully) one last question. I updated my workbook with your instructions. In addition, I added an "All" field to my Market List parameter and extended my Market Filter with [Market List]=[Land] or [Market List]= "All" which should mean that when I select "All" Tableau should show me the total numbers of all markets. This works fine within the Market dashboard so far.

What I want now is a filter from Map Dashboard to Market Dashboard. When I click on a market in the Map dashboard it should guide me to the Market dashboard and show me the numbers for the market I selected in the Map dashboard.

When my Market List parameter does not contain the "All" field, it works perfectly. I add an action filter with Selected Filter = Market Filter. This is not really handy because the Map dashboard is my starting page and I want to show all the available markets. Once I have added an "All" field to the Market List parameter, it seems that Tableau somehow is not able to deal with it when I select a market in the map dashboard.

Can you please also help me with this?Thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: Parameters in Dual Axis do not behave as expected
              Takaaki Koseki

You mean you want to change the Market List parameter after you move from the Map dashboard?

In other word, you want to change the Market dashboard view to another market difference from what you select in the Map dashboard?

Mmm... It's a pretty difficult to solve.

Putting the Market List parameter away and always selecting the market from the Map dashboard is an easy way because the action filter can also use as a global filter, I guess.

• 4. Re: Parameters in Dual Axis do not behave as expected
                Daniel Heilig

Hi Takaaki Koseki

thanks a lot, this helps me a bit.

I replaced the Market Filter parameter with an market Action Filter.

Now, I'm possible to select a market in the Map dashboard, it will guide me to the Market dashboard and load both the chart and KPIs below correctly.

Then, I added the Action filter as an drop-down list to the Market dashboard and it will show me the market I selected in the Map dashboard before. But when I now select another market from the drop-down list in the market dashboard, it will only update the chart but not the KPIs below. I tried to set the Action filter as a global filter in all the sheets but it does not help.

When I go back to the Map dashboard and select a market there, it works perfectly.

Do you know why?

Please find the updated workbook attached.

• 5. Re: Parameters in Dual Axis do not behave as expected
                  Takaaki Koseki

Ah, it wasn't a good explanation what I said...

The action filter can use as a global filter when the filter invoked by a worksheet.

It can't do when it selected by a list such as a drop-down.

Because about the filter provided by a list, which worksheet is effected by this filter can be selected in the menu 'Apply to Worksheets' and we can select the worksheet made from the same primary data source.

While the filter provided by a worksheet action, which worksheet is effected by this filter can be selected in the menu 'Worksheet'>'Action', and we can select the worksheet existing in the same dashboard.

• 6. Re: Parameters in Dual Axis do not behave as expected
                    Daniel Heilig

Takaaki Koseki

Thanks a lot! To be honest, it's a bit too complicated for me, so I don't know how to implement it into my workbook. I need a drop-down list of markets as this a customer requirement. May I kindly ask you to update my workbook so I understand what you mean? This would be very helpful

• 7. Re: Parameters in Dual Axis do not behave as expected
                      Takaaki Koseki

I didn't update any thing in your workbook.

I just wanted to say it is impossible that working them together, selecting by the Map and selecting by the drop-down, as far as I know...

Because the target sheet which those two function can select is different.

When you use the drop-down...

20160323-1.gif

you can only select the worksheet made from the same primary data source.

In this case, you can only select the work sheet made from [Sales] data source.

When you use the dashboard action...

20160323-2.gif

you can select the worksheet existing in the same dashboard.

Then you can apply the filter to all of the worksheet in the Market Dashboard.

But... your customer requirement is the drop-down?

Mmm... Then... One of the way is to recreate the KPIs sheets from other data sources to the [Sales] data source.

I updated your workbook roughly. See 'n' prefix worksheet, that is new KPIs sheets based on [Sales] data source.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Parameters in Dual Axis do not behave as expected
                        Daniel Heilig

Hi Takaaki Koseki

thank you very much for your help, I really appreaciate your time on this.

Sorry for my delayed reply, it took a while until I could re-build and understand your updated workbook.

Now, I tried to apply your updated workbook to my original data sources and encountered a new problem.

I use different data sources and then use "Market" as a linking field (as you teached me). But if the "Market" in each data source does not contain the exact same markets, the "All" filter in the Market action filter will not work as desired.

Following examples:

KPI 1 using data source 1. Data source 1 contains the following markets:

1. Germany

2. France

3. Italy

4. Japan

5. USA

5. Russia

KPI 2 using Markets in data source 2. Data source 2 contains the following markets:

1. Germany

2. France

3. Italy

4. Japan

5. USA

5. Russia

KPI 3 using Markets in data source 3: Data source 3 contains the following markets:

1. Germany

2. France

3. Italy

4. Japan

5. USA

5. Russia

6. Netherlands

7. Argentina

8. Brasil

9. Australia

10. Spain

I used data source 3 as a primary data source as the Markets in data source 1 and data source 2 are subset of Markets in data source 3.

When I now create an action filter like described above, the filter works very well for specific selected markets e.g. Germany or Russia but when I select "all" it will not show me "all" results for e.g. KPI 1

Do you know what I mean?

• 9. Re: Parameters in Dual Axis do not behave as expected
                          Takaaki Koseki

Hi.

This is my speculation but there is missing data on primary data source as the level of join key (after filtering).

If you have always all market in your primary,

then Bestelldatum (the another join key) is suspicious...

For example,

if there is no data of Belgien - 12/31/2015 on primary

and there is data of Belgien - 12/31/2015 on secondary,

then the calculation based on secondary misses this data

so the result is mismatch.

Regards

Takaaki