6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 4:00 PM by Noah Hofmann-Smith

At what point can i use independent axis?

vinutha vasanthu

Please find my screen shot attached.Currently for some of the columns the bar is not show because the values are much below the axis value.

I want the bar to be show for example for "For percentage of Policies" it is 12.50% for which bar is not show as its much below the axis.

Its just for beautifying the chart...

Also i would like to know what point i can use independent axis.Will i be able to use independent axis for the above mention requirement.

• 1. Re: At what point can i use independent axis?
          Andrew Watson

The things being compared on the graph are completely different - a % and a $ amount don't logically share the same axis. You could pull the % values into a different chart or perhaps try a dual axis so you're %s are against a more appropriately scaled axis. Or perhaps consider showing this not in a bar chart, which, without knowing the context, doesn't seem like the best way to display this data.

• 2. Re: At what point can i use independent axis?
            Hrvoje Gabelica

You are comparing pears and apples. Showing some money and percentages is not logical and there is real answer for your question. Try to seperate those measures by some group

Hrvoje

• 3. Re: At what point can i use independent axis?
              vinutha vasanthu

Hi Hrvoje,

This is the requirement.Each field is a set of calculation fields.I tried to display them as "Text Table".I was trying to display them in a different graphical way so figuring out to display the appropriate way.

Thanks,

• 4. Re: At what point can i use independent axis?
                Hrvoje Gabelica

In that case right click on axis -> Edit Axis.. ->Check logaritmic scale.

You can them uncheck show header for measure values since it doesnt represent anything

• 5. Re: At what point can i use independent axis?
                  Ivan Young

Hi Vinutha,

You might want to consider a logarithmic axis for your view which will scale your axis to the range of values.  Right click on your axis, select edit axis then check the logarithmic checkbox.

Good luck,

Ivan

• 6. Re: At what point can i use independent axis?
                    Noah Hofmann-Smith

Hi Vinutha,

You said,

"This is the requirement.Each field is a set of calculation fields.I tried to display them as "Text Table".I was trying to display them in a different graphical way so figuring out to display the appropriate way".

That's the key question here--what's an appropriate way to display these numbers together?

Comparing a dollar value with a percent value is never meaningful--or correct. If you decide to have a chart showing both dollars and percents, make sure it does not look like you are comparing them against each other.

For you, my easiest and best suggestion would be to do the following:

• Right-click "Measure Names" in filters, and click "Show Filter".
                    • Create 2 copies of the viz.
                      • In one copy--in the Measure Names filter, tick the measures that are dollars, and un-tick the measures that are percentages.
                      • In the other copy--in the Measure Names filter, tick the measures that are percentages, and un-tick the measures that are dollars.
                    • Create a dashboard
                    • Put both sheets on the dashboard

Then you have a viz which shows both numbers, but separates the dollars from the percentages.

Regards,

Noah